1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a New 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gearhead17, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I am looking for a new 5 string bass in the price range of $1000-$3000. I currently have a Spector 5 string Euro with a Padauk body, maple neck thru, walnut layer in the middle of the body, Delano pickups, Glockenklang Pre-amp. This bass has a distinct low midrange and midrangey punch to it, with decent clarity, and solid low end. I love the sound of it, but unfortunatley, Spector does not make this bass any more and I found out it was an exotic model and very FEW of them were made.

I want my next bass to have the following attributes:

5 string
    35" Scale
    1.87" Nut
    Rosewood or Ebony Fingerboard
    Neck-Thru
    Two Humbuckers
    24 frets
    Active pre-amp

No wenge fingerboards
    No shorter scales (34" or less)
    Humbuckers not Bartolini
    Not neck-heavy

The bass must have a solid/punchy midrange tone to it, I don't want an edgey/crazy midrange tone at all. I primarily play with my fingers, and use a pick from time to time. I don't want a bass that can effortlessly do a slap tone or ANY tapping harmonics - My current Spector can't do a slap tone or tapping harmonics at all - fine with me! It seems like every bass I have tried lately can do that darn slap tone and not even get close to the thickness of my Spector. So, I am thinking the farther away I get from that slap tone, the closer I will get to what I want.

Is there a bass out there that you guys recommend for my application? Or am I better off going custom to get exactly what I want?

Also, I am in a cover band that does a lot of 90's rock, alternative hits and some classics. Green Day, The Killers, Jet, Weezer, Muse, Pearl Jam, Offspring, Finger Eleven etc.

2. mani

mani

Apr 23, 2006
    Tasmania
    Hmmm...

Nearly all the artists you're covering are Fender users. Nothing like you've spec'd.

And best not let Doug Wimbish know that Spectors are no good for tap or slap:bag:

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I know it goes against a lot of your requirements, but for the type of music you're playing, I think a Fender might be just the ticket...

You might try the (discontinued) Roscoe Beck V, or the (passive) American Standard P5.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Spector for slap and tap - let me clarify before I dig too deep of a hole! My Spector sounds radically different than the other Spectors and I think it has a lot to do with the paduak body wood. The Rebops I have played and owned do that slap tone well, but it's not the tone I want. I also owned a Spalted Maple Euro and I really hated it - it was cold and lifeless, and had no punch.

As for the suggestion of a P-Bass, I just can't get along with that bass. Every time I play one, all I hear is low end, edgey midrange/high end, or they have way too much low end with little to no midrange. At least that's what I hear through any rig just playing with the tone knob on the P-Bass. I don't know where the idea that P-basses have a good low-mid response came from, but I honestly don't hear it with the modern day P-basses. The oldest P-bass I ever tried was an
    '83, maybe the vintage basses have the tone I am looking for?
    And yes, I have tried a p-bass with my band before and I still hated the tone I was getting.

I appreciate the help guys & I will admit that I am definitely particular when it comes to tone.