Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a new amp desperately

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zon Bass, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have an SWR, and i am getting tired of its sterile sound and am looking for something warm and smooth. I dont like Ampegs sound, and have gotten flamed for it a
    lot in the past, so please dont suggest them. A tube preamp and poweramp are a must, and about 500 watts or more. I will be running it into a SWR 4x10, 2 1x18's
    and eventually an 8x10. I dont care about price, just as long as its not 5000 dollars or something

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So w/ three cabs, that's tri-amping? Well, for a moderate price, you could swing this:

Eden WT-800
    or
    Eden WT-100 preamp + a poweramp

Then, you could run the 410 and 118 into one side of the amp, and other 18 on the other side, or both 18s on one side, ect. That is of course, if you can wire them in paralell. And then the 810 would be no problem.

If you don't like the SWR, go Eden. You'll never crave another amp again. Power, maybe, tone and sound, no. Then again, I might be a bit Eden biased...But Eden is the epitome of smooth and warm. Wonderous stuff they are.

3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    How 'bout an Aguilar db 680 and db 728? the 680 has a 10-stage tube front end. The 728 is 400 W tube. It's pretty spendy but should be "tubey" enough for you. Also, you use it on any impedance cabinet, since you've got all those cabs...

http://www.aguilaramp.com/ (if you have the flash plug-in

or

http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/index2.html

Good luck!

4. I was just gonna recommend Aguilar too. It's kinda like the big brother in my opinion, Opinion of course, to Eden.