Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a new amp, hel needed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by puck299c, Jan 5, 2001.

1. puck299c

puck299c

Jan 5, 2001
    Ok, Ive been playin in a band for about 2 years now. We are about as metal as you can get. Heres the deal. I only played in the band cause their current bassist was going to school in europe. I never messed with any of the sound stuff, just showed and played using my guitar but his amp. He came back this week, now im off on my own band, alas and need my own amp. Like I said we play metal and will probably always play in this same little club. I just need to know what to get. A combo or head and cabinet, whatever, im completely clueless. Right now all I have is the crate bx-100 and an ibanez soundgear. Any help is needed. Id like to know what you guys would recommend and take a guess at the price.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What was the other guy's rig, did you like it?

What's your budget?

3. puck299c

puck299c

Jan 5, 2001
    i HAVE NO IDEA. i LIKE IT BUT i DONT KNOW WHAT IT WAS. sOME KIND OF MARSHALL HEAD AND CABINET SET UP. PRICE IS NO BIG DEAL, BUT ITS MONEY YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Whoa, easy on the caps, man... ;)

You could have a look at the Carvin gear. The RC210-18 setup they have on their website consists of a 600W 2x10" combo with an 18" extension cabinet. This would be well enough for a lot of gigs (wont need any PA for the bass), and you leave the sub and just bring the combo to your rehearsals. Price is around $1000. The combo excluding the 18" sub is $769. If you find Carvin gear on the used market, it will be much cheaper. Resale value on Carvin gear is ridiculously low.
    I am myself no big fan of Carvin gear, but a lot of people are. If you're able to try it out, do so.

Peavey stuff is also good value. Again, I myself don't favour these, but lot of people do.

If money is not an object, I'd look into an EBS Fafner head. Very good and versatile head indeed (if you ask me it's da bomb! :) ), but somewhat pricey.

5. If you would give us a price limit, that would help with our suggestions.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Is your drummer amplified? What does your guitarist play through? Your vocalist too? If you look at the gear they are using it will help you to decide what you need. I was at Carvin the other day and they have some killer deals on all levels of equipment. You should go to their website and look at it. http://www.carvin.com

7. puck299c

puck299c

Jan 5, 2001
    woah, sorry bout the caps guys. Guitarist uses a marshall 4x10" with a marshall head, dont know the wattage. singer just uses the PA the place gives us, drummer also just uses the PA. Im gonna go check that site. Like I said, theres only one place were gonna be playin and its not that big.

8. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Also annother consideration...tone. If you want to have a super low chest pounding tone, go with a 15 or an 18. I just got a good deal on a Bag end 15, and its got real great reggae/dub tone that is rich with bass. not allot of highs though. if you want a growly punchy tone I sugest 10s or 8s of course combining the two types would yeild some of the best from both worlds. If you want that fieldy Korn tone...I sugest an 18 and two 10's like the first dude did. but if you are going for classic metalica/black sabbath tone, then I sugest a four 10 cab.

9. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    Christ dude, if your guitar player has that setup and u need something big, like at least 400 watts,
    i would know i used to be playing against that with a crate 220 watt setup,
    what u need is like a nice big head like 400 watts with a
    4 x10 cabinet or maybe even an 8 x 10,
    great brands at big prices are the following,
    eden, ampeg, swr, mesa boogie, sunn

good brands at medium prices are the following:
    gallien krueger (very good), carvin, hughes and kettner,

hope i helped u out,
    have a nice day