Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goretopsy, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    I've been playing out a hughes and kettner baseforce XL for about 2 years now and I've been really happy with it...until it crapped out and blew an amp fuse inside and after I got it fixed it was never quite the same (more noise, more problems) so I finally decided to just get a new amp instead of having it break the day before a gig again. I've been looking around and have been playing with some different brands that local stores around here carry, these are what I'm looking at (in my $$ range)

Gallien Krueger 800RB
    Cavin redline series III 600
    Ampeg B2R
    Running my sansamp through a poweramp of some sort.

I really like how the sansamp sounds but I was wondering if it would be good enough to play through all the time. The carvin I've never played through my self but have had some guys I've known/Seen use them and they sounded good. the Krueger is nice but big and its the least powerful. (i probably wouldnt bi amp it)
    And the ampeg sounds good but seems so meh compared to all the other amps listed, in options and all that stuff
    Oh yeah Ill be running it through two hughes and kettner 4X10br cabs
    well thanks to anyone who responds

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, you if you DO get the Sansamp, it's doesn't put out enoug Db to fully activate some poweramps, so you'd need to mod the input of the poweramp for increased sensitivity (It's a $20 mod)

But of the choices, I'd go with the Carvin.

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Get either the Ampeg or the carvin. The carvin will probably cost less.