Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a new bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilks, Feb 12, 2003.

1. A few months ago I purchased a second hand GK800RB for $1200 Australian (500-600 US). Since then I've had nothing but trouble with it and the time has finally come for a refund. I'll have a $1200 credit at that shop.

So here's my question: Is it possible to get a reasonable bass head for that amount of money and if so, what are they?

I use an Ibanez SR390 bass and a cheap 410 400w bass cab.

I'd like a head around the 300-400w mark. I play a lot of rock and some punk. What are my options?

please help and thankyou in advance

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Gday mate. Fellow Aussie here. I bought an amp head recently for $1,350 RRP, made in Melbourne and DEFINITELY better than amps worth twice as much. But you've never heard of em..... the brand is "Ebony" (they're manufactured by a company called Audio Assemblers Australia). 400w at 4 ohms. 4 band active EQ plus 7 defeatable band graphic, 5db pad, mid countour switch, low cut switch, high boost switch, built in DI. Loud enough to overpower a drum kit (with the right speakers of course) and clean. I liked it so much I bought a second one recently.

The only problem is that they're so new, only one store carries em - The Bass player in Annandale, Sydney. If you can somehow get up here to try it our, you won't be disappointed.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    What was wrong with the GK? They are renound to have a few bits of dodgey electronics.

If you need advice and you can travel far, i suggest you PM Merlin, because he lives in the adeliade area, and he may know a few things you can do :D

4. I had the GK repaired 2 times within the first 3 months of owning it. The first time it stopped working completely, the second time it continually blew fuses and last night all i was getting was a crackling noise and fading volume.

It was the shop owners suggestion to "retire" it and give me the credit. It's been to a tech and supposedly fixed but I guess it wasn't.

5. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    In that price range you should have plenty of options. You should be able to find a decent
    SWR SM 900 that should prove to be reliable.