1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a New Cab for 5 String

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dp351, Mar 14, 2010.

1. dp351

dp351

Feb 22, 2010
    Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but am glad to have found it. I have been out of the playing scene for a while and am getting back into it. The last time I played regularly with a band was in the early 90s and my rig consisted of:

Custom made Alembic Elan 5 string
    Groove Tubes Studio Series pre-amp
    Carver PM1.5 power amp bi-amped into
    Boogie 215 and custom built 212 with JBL E120s
    Digitech DSP 128 fx processor
    Peavey 115 with JBL E140 (practice cabinet)

After I stopped playing, I sold off most everything but the Grove Tubes pre-amp and Carver power amp and practice cab. Had various Ibanez basses and an SX 5 string J bass. All of that has since been stolen. I'm REALLY pissed about losing the Grove Tubes pre-amp but that's another story.

Anyway, I recently found a nice Ibanez BTB455 with Barts that I picked up cheap. I'm looking at a used SWR SM400 or SM400S and a good 410 cab. Keeping it real simple for now.

What I want is a cabinet that goes below 40hz preferably down to 30hz for the low B. The Ampeg SVT410hlf goes down there but not all of the Ampeg 410s do. Some Edens and SWR cabs do, but not all of them. I am interested in the Acoustic B410 but can't find frequency response specs, even on their web site. I've read some good things about the cab and the price is right as well.

Can anybody suggest something for me that goes down to the low B range 30hz? Anyone know if the Acoustic B410 goes that low?

Thanks.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The ampeg SVT410hlf does have a deep bass response, but I don't think many, if any standard and available bass cabs will do 30 Hz. Most of what you hear in that range is the harmonics of those low notes, NOT the actual fundemental. And that Acoustic cab won't be nearly as low as the Ampeg.

3. MCN

MCN

Feb 8, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    The standard response would be Acme of course, and since they are what I use, I'd recommend you have a look:

www.acmebass.com

4. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    +1 for Acme

5. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I am also in search of a new setup and have similar demands of my rig. I am gonna have to subscribe to this thread.

The Acme cabs intrigue me. It sounds like earth shaking bass, but also able to get the mids and highs. And the prices are reasonable... so what's the catch? I'd like to hear some personal accounts of their Acmes.

6. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    Build yourself a BFM Omni 15TB and live happily ever after.. There ain't a commercially available cab that comes close, trust me..

7. dp351

dp351

Feb 22, 2010
    Thanks guys. I've found a couple of Acme Low B 2s, one that I've made an offer on. I'll let you know how it works out. Still looking for an amp though.

8. You'll probably need 500 watts min to drive the acme cabs.

9. Im really happy with my Avatar 410 Neo. Handles low B really well.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020