1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a New DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeffJ2112, Feb 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    Mine stopped working. Need a new one quickly and relatively inexpensively(under $150 preferably).

Suggestions?

Thanks

2. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    What is your preference; passive, with eq function, colored towards a certain tone....

I've had this one before and it's pretty darn bullet-proof. It's very transparent, and (thru some voodoo under the pedal enclosure) made this one bass I used to have quieter. - That bass had a grounding issue that I could never quite nail down....

For Sale - MXR M81 Bass Preamp
    I have no affiliation with the poster, It was just in the TB classifieds and was the first one to come up when I searched "FS MXR M81"

Personally, I have a Mesa Subway DI for sale, but may be more than you are wanting to pitch at a new DI. It is an amazing little box, just not the sound I was looking for (much as I wanted it to be)...

Lastly, I can recommend from personal experience, the Sansamp Para DI. I hear the Bass DI is quite good too, but I have no personal experience with that one....

NPD SansAmp Para Driver DI
    This one isn't for sale, but you can get an idea of what it's like from this... Probably can have one for the money you are wanting to spend.

Both the MXR M81 and the Para DI have sweep-able mids. For me, that's a pretty nice feature. I've settled in on the Para DI because I just like the tone. It's not a signature color per-say, like, and ampeg or an orange amplification flavoring, but it's got something that I like that makes me say it's not 100% transparent either.

Hope this helps!

3. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    I was just looking at your Mesa, could be interested. It's not too far out of my price range and I've heard good things about it.

Mostly playing very heavy stuff right now. The DI that I had that bit the dust was a EH Battalion. Mostly happy with it but seemed a bit fragile. Maybe I bought a lemon.

The only reason I'm putting a $150 limit is that I'm saving up for some other gear and I don't want to dip into that too much.

Definitely want an EQ, overdrive and/or distortion. Those are the biggies for me.

Thanks!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I wouldn't say that the primary purpose of the Mesa is [EDIT] not to [END EDIT] overdrive, but it will do it. Would love to sell you my Mesa, but for over-driving, I'd have to give the Tech 21 the nod. It actually has an in-built overdrive with a wet-dry blend. I guess it's just all in what you are going for. It provides a little natural compression, and some say that it has ampeg leanings, but I see it as it's own thing.

This is a pretty good run-through on that one:

One thing, this is the first gen of the para-di. It would be out there second hand maybe, but probably not new. I've had both. I got the one in this video, sold it to chase shiny objects, and then bought it back. The newer version has an air and rumble button, which are essentially high pass and low pass filters. I don't use them, but that's one of the essential differences between gen 1 and gen 2 of the the para di.

Now if you are looking for a multiple-pedal strategy and had a specific flavor or distortion/overdrive in mind, The Mesa would do very little to change the tone, and would have a straight-forward eq, ala, bass, low mid, high mid, treble. The two things on that pedal that could make a dirt section really shine is the voicing knob and the deep switch. I think what the voicing does is similar to what you find on an amp head. It's the scooped mid to mid heavy knob... As for the deep toggle, it just adds girth. This is also worth mentioning. If you check out the back of the mesa, there are 2 DI outs. One is pretty hot, around 30dB.. The other one is more line-level. That could help you if you play different places that have different mixing desks. There's also 1/4" out as well if you needed that to run to something.

This is a pretty good run-through:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    JeffJ2112 likes this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    images(19).
    I got mine from a TB'er, under your limit... I don't know how it matches up to what you had, but I love mine... very versatile unit!

Good luck, Jeff!

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Jeff :)

because :D

yoda fail.

:laugh::roflmao:

Sorry your post asked for kiddding ;):thumbsup:

Check the used market! There are pro level preamp/D.I.s that will do the job ($150)

On the other hand, a really good D.I. is a really good D.I.

Wise(b)ass

7. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I was just recently in the same situation....I wanted a good "throw it in your gig bag" type of DI, good quality but not too expensive. I went with a Radial ProDI, solid, clean, near bulletproof and very affordable.

8. mobass55

mobass55 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Nixa Missouri
    Ditto! Love Mine.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If all I needed was an inexpensive but good DI with no bells or whistles and had it to do over again, instead of the Countryman Type 85 I got, I would get the Whirlwind Director, which is surprisingly good for the money.

PockySteve, 10cc and JeffJ2112 like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry Jeff, didn't see you wanted EQ and distortion. That's what I get for reading the first post only :D

Well there are a lot of good choices, but I think most will set you back $200 unless you buy used. I'll refrain from recommending since I'm an endorser of a company I'd recommend :D but should not be a problem.

40Hz, LowEndJason and JeffJ2112 like this.
  11. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I've always had at least (1) Tech 21 DI in my stable. I've had my BDDI since sometime in the 90's. Usually $110 bones used. Paradriver, VTDI, hell even the BFR isn't too much over your limit. I had the Mesa for a bit too, great unit for a fat tone although it would need a dirt pedal in front to get real good breakup. IMO. Used Tone Hammer might also fit the bill. Lots of options around your price point used.

12. allintime

allintime

Apr 10, 2018
    Virginia
    What happened to your Battalion? What exactly stopped working? I want to know what to look out for. I got one two months ago and tried using the DI to the PA but it had a lot of issues. Had to use the DI from my amp instead. The EQ and drive sections sound good, and the compression is a nice feature, but the DI was unusable. Might be a lemon as well.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  13. The mxr m80+ is a great unit for what you describe. The distortion can be tricky at first to get dialed in but once it’s where you want it it’s great.
    I’ve had one since early 2000s and it’s a tank.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    +1. Every gig I use mine. Love it.

15. Token Countryman 85 plug.

wideload, 40Hz and JeffJ2112 like this.
  16. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I have one of these at all times in my gigbag. Picked it up used for $35. Bomb Proof, you could hammer a nail with the thing.

NKBassman, FirewalZ and JeffJ2112 like this.
  17. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    JeffJ2112 likes this.
  18. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    B7k

19. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    I had mine a few years before any issues. Did have to do a bit of soldering on the inputs starting about a year ago. Plugged it in at practice on Sunday, started cutting in and out. Opened it up when I got home and there was some melting on the circuit board.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    Gosh, I wonder which one that you are an endorser of that you'd recommend?

JimmyM likes this.