Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a new distortion pedal (boss odb-3)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pil101, Feb 14, 2003.

1. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    i have the boss odb-3. i can never get the right sound i am looking for. it seems far too harsh. i have messed with every setting on it and i just cant get a warm distortion out of it. i am looking for the sound that peter hook (new order/joy division/monoco) gets. the pedal just sounds so unnatural. any suggestions?

erik

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Or Sans Amp TRI-AC.

3. Try a Marshall Jackhammer.

You can get a pretty fat, mellow, low-endy sound out of it.

*and* it's pretty cheap.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

For a Peter Hook sound I wouldn't go with a SanSamp BassDriver.

The Digitech X Bass Drive would be a better choice. It has a RAT pedal model that would bring you pretty close to this type of sound.

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Your right Jazz Ad.No BDDI for a Peter hook sound but for a natural sounding overdrive,yes.

6. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Im in the same boat..the ODB-3 is out of my board now and im looking for something a little sweeter..How about the Frantone Lo-Tone or the Fulltone Bassdriver?

I was actually thinking about the Tech 21 Tri A.C.
    How does it work with bass? I'd like to have the option of 3 different overdrives and that one struck me as cool..

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can't comment on the Tri-AC.

The Frantone is more of a fuzz. I had the green version, which was really good- you can control the fuzz, tone and volume. Very clean. The new beige version is apparently dirtier.

I have the Fulltone, which I settled on after trying a bunch of od / dist pedals. It's not perfect, but it was the best match for what I was looking to do. Fulltone bassdrive has the advantage of being two channel, so you set the first channel up with drive, tone, volume. I use this first channel as a mild o/d. The second channel has a separate boost control, and kicks in a more serious distortion.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The tri ac is amazing. You can get slightly overdriven to full on SVT to metal madness with this thing. Best od/dist. box I've ever used. That said, I have not tried some of the really fancy boutique boxes.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

As far as overdrive goes, I found my Nirvana with the FullTone Bass-Drive.
    I find it really perfect for my needs.
    I use it with the SanSamp BassDriver which is actually my main preamp.