1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEED A NEW HEAD AND NEED SUGGESTIONS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonnyju29, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Jonnyju29

Jonnyju29

Oct 3, 2013
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your input...

I play in a cover band mostly and my problem is my head is not powerful enough... so much so I think there may be something wrong with it but I've taken it in to be services and they said it worked fine. I want something that I can push a serious amount of air with and drown out the ******* guitarists I play with. Here's my rig:

Eden WT550 Head (500W @ 4ohm, 700W @ 2 Ohm)

Cabs:
    Eden 210XLT 4 Ohm 350W RMS
    Eden D115XLT 4 Ohm 400W RMS

Fender Jazz bass

So I very rarely run both cabs at the same time because it's then running at 2ohms which is not good for the gear but when I do the head should give 700W RMS and still it has trouble keeping up with the noise level in the rehearsal room and the head clips when I turn either the master or gain over 50%.

I'm keeping the cabs, or perhaps ditching the 15 for a 4x10 I can gig with. But I want a head that can power the hell out of two cabs and drown out the drums and guitar (not that I would). I love the Eden sound when it's at low volume and I like the GK growl but I want something with really warm tone and a bit of growl. I'm open to any ideas and open to shelling out for quality gear because I gig regularly.

Here in Vancouver there's not much to choose from other than the crap that L&M and Tom Lee bring in like Traynor but I can and will drive down to guitar center in the US to pick up gear if I need to.

Ideas?

2. The WT-550 is a great head with awesome power. Running that head at 2ohms should pose no problem either. You need more speakers rather than additional power to get noticeably louder. I'd either get a matching 115 or if you prefer 10's ditch the 115 and go with a 410....or 2. I used that head with a 410 Epifani cab and it was huge in volume.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

This. The head isn't getting harmed running @ 2 ohms if it is rated for it. My advice would also be to get another matching cabinet of whichever you prefer. a 410 would be preferred for me over a pair of 210s but that is strictly for loading convenience. If you match a 410 and a 210 you need one 4 ohm and one 8, otherwise they will get mismatched power. (somebody better with this can explain it)

Also, as a person in Saskatoon, you sound like an entitled jerk. :p Vancouver L&M is stocked to the boobies with cool stuff and Tom Lee has some neat stuff too, not as much for bass though. I tried Epifani at Vancouver L&M, I had always wanted to and they had one, I knew that day I was buying one. They also had a Marshall Lemmy stack and any kind of DR strings I wanted. Seriously, come to either one of my L&M's and you will stop complaining quite quickly. The only nice gear they stock is Dingwall and that is most likely because the shop is about 200 yards away.

4. 8x10 is really only a halfarsed attempt at drowning out twin stacked gui****s which could easily fail miserably, resulting in only a louder volume war with same result and worse bass dispersion.

5. I'm sure the amp's fine. You may need to get a fEARful 151566 made to squash the competition. That should address Downunderwonder's concern about bass dispersion.

6. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Use both cabs. Don't be afraid, chaos will not ensue!

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Ditch the 1x15 0 it's not doing all that much for you and is a perennial weak link in your system. Add a second identical 4x10 to the one you have and run the amp at 2Ω.

8. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I think the 115 is slowing you down.

As far as amps go, look at getting a GK 1001RBII. It's 700 watts @ 4ohms but sounds a lot louder than that. I use to gig with that with my cover band going through an avatar b410 rated at 4ohms. Sometimes I was told I was too loud, but the louder you go, the more growl you get out of it.

As far as speakers go, look into a 410, 610, 412, or an 810.
    Most 410 can get the job done.

I remember getting compliments for my playing and tone on superstition by Stevie Wonder.
    The low B string was so spot on that I try playing extra notes on that string.

Attached Files:

9. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Get another 4 ohm Eden 2X10, stack it vertically with the 2X10 you already have and you should have no problem hearing yourself and providing a nice clean bass sound for your band! Mark my words...

10. This is exactly what I would do. Make sure it's another 4 ohmer so you can push 2 ohms and stacked verticaly it'll be so pretty

11. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Jan 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Put me down as another one with that same rig. (vertical!) I'm always being told to turn down!

12. I run 2x10 vertical over 1x15 sometimes. I don't need to get any louder.

OP seems kinda jokey about the volume needs at rehearsal. Makes me think he isn't too quiet, it's just bad sound in the rehearsal room, who hasn't been there?

First thing to do is get the gui****s to shush by putting their cabs up on stands aimed at their heads. The total volume will be halved straight away. Drummer should follow suit and all will be well.

13. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    Wow i thought i played loud...My rig is 600 watts single 15...my back up is 300watts single 15. The most i ever gave my back is main full gain 6.Passive Jazz.To awner your question i have a Traynor Dynabass 800h i have never found a need to add another head yet to use 800 watts i run 5 and 5.Tons of reserve power.

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    Your amp is not the problem. Your guitarist is too loud.

15. Jonnyju29

Jonnyju29

Oct 3, 2013
    Hahaha maybe I am an entitled brat! I'm now really concerned that there is something wrong with my head because it is clipping when I turn it up past 6 on either the gain or master. The sound also breaks up and I've just torn a cone on my Eden 2x12. My band is always telling me to turn up and I can't push enough low end to really feel it unless I'm standing with by back against it. Just doesn't seem right. Could be my bass too.... I always get a weak signal from it when recording. ****.

Side note, what does turning a 2x10 on its side do to increase the output??

16. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Eh, yep....

17. Stacking two 210's vertically Or standing a 210 on end will bring the speaker closer to ear level.

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Nothing. What it does do is increase the dispersion so your bass is heard better and more evenly throughout the venue.