1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need a new head for my Precision, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sublab, Aug 7, 2012.

1. A few weeks ago I tried an American Fender Special Precision and absolutely fell in love with it. I played her through an Ampeg SVT head and Peavy 810, don't remember the type of cab but the Precision just shone! So I bought the Precision and a second SVT410he. Then I rigged everything up with my Eden Nemesis EN400, and I felt disapointed. Both the Precision and the 2 SVT410's don't get justice from the Eden head. It's just too dull sounding. I got the head for just 200euro secondhand so I'm not complaining. An SVT head is way over my budget, so the Ampeg PF500 seems like a good head within my budget.

Any other heads you guys use to let your Precision shine?

2. I dig the pairing on my precision and PF-500.

Also keep in mind that your cab has as much to do with your sound as anything else. If the cab you were playing through at the store was a ported cab, it will give you a different feel than your sealed 410. I would take your bass and cab down to the store and try out a few heads to get a good picture of what you want.

3. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Try an Aguilar TH500. Lots of grind, plenty of headroom for a couple 4x10 cabs, lightweight, portable and modestly priced for the quality.

An Aguilar DB 750 or 751 would even be better if you can locate one used for a reasonable price. My DB750 does everything I ever needed an SVT to do, and is half the weight as well! Best of luck in your search!

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It wouldn't hurt to try a VT Bass pedal into the effects return of your current head if you don't have the cash for a new head right away. It can sound very SVT-like.

5. If you're looking for the ultimate "Ampeg Sound" - you won't find it from an Eden, GK, Markbass, etc.... You really need to save your money and get an SVT head. They are expensive, that much is true, but you'll be chasing your tail trying to get "that sound" from any other manufacturer.

6. Not looking for the Ampeg tone per sé, just the head that will let my Precision sound full and defined as it should. The Eden is quite versatile in its own right, but it doesn't let any of that P vibe out unless I turn the its knobs off or its EQ at noon. When I do that my cabs sound best as well.

I've got three I'm going to look into: PF500 - Aguilar TH500, and the GB STM600. Priced right and get good reviews all over TB.

7. Bearston

Bearston

Jul 11, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    For me, the next best thing to an SVT is a G-K RB 800. Not that they sound alike, but because they have their own voices that let a P-Bass shine...and because I own both. You could probably pick up a G-K used for a decent price. Gotta love those 4x10 / 8x10 cabs, too. :D

8. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL

I own the Genz Benz Streamliner 600 and I pair mine with a Hartke HyDrive 410 which is also a sealed cab. I love this combination. Sounds and feels great. I think it would sound great with your cabs JMO.

9. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Ampeg V-4,V-4B, VT-22 (all the same head) if you loved the SVT. Here they run $500-$700 and are plentiful if you don't want a show piece. Plenty of power. 90% of the sound of that SVT. The 10% is just different not better or worse. the PF 500 sounds great..........but it's no tube head.

10. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    +1

11. The SVT-7PRO is a good alternative to an Ampeg tube head.

12. badboyb

badboyb

Aug 27, 2009
    australia
    The P bass into Ampeg is such a classic pairing, it must be the most popular coupling in bassdom and has been forever.

Try the svt 7 pro if you can afford it.
    The pf-500 does also sound very good with the P.

I use a TC Electronic RH450, which just sounds amazing with my P bass.
    It doesnt work anywhere near as well with my other basses, but with the P bass, it has that same big, fat mean tone similar to an ampeg.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT 7 Pro is my favorite non-all-tube SVT sounding amp, and all of Ampeg's amps with the exception of the B2RE get it done for me to a pretty big degree. But man, those tube SVT heads are awesome and nothing else quite gets it done for me the way tubes do.

14. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Yep, love the SVT + pbass! PF500 is good too.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If the Ampeg is too expensive, I love my LH1000. Nice warm-tubes sound. I also play Precision basses.