Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a new pot., bass is shorting out.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by orskard, Oct 17, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Long story short, i broke the tone knob on my p bass special. and i just left the broken knob in there and still wired beacuse i was lazy and it still played, and i was "going to get around to it" and get a new pot. now, about 2 weeks later, my only bass is cutting out and i have jazz band try outs in like 2 weeks so i need to fix this!!!

my bass is a fender with p and j pups, so what kind of tone pot do i need. is pot the right word? isnt it short for poteramiter or something like that?

i was looking online and found that they are different kinda with different numbers, what number do i need?

will my local guitar store or guitar center have one? how much will it be?

it wont be that hard to soder back in will it??

thanks a WHOLE bunch.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Better fit in Setup - moved.

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana

thanks

4. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I believe you need a 250k linear pot, but not having a jazz you might want to wait for now.

Until you find a replacment you can just disconnect it and you're bass will work fine.

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana

i can just cut the wires to the tone and it will still work? im not going too, but still wondering.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    No, cutting the wires to tone will result in no sound at all. Is it active? If so, I think Guitar Electronics.com may have a wiring diagram to help you out. Passive is even easier. If it is a blend pot, it'll most likely be a 250K blend pot. Looks almost like a stacked pot. The only reason it would be a linear-taper would be if it were part of an active circuit. Normal blend pots are audio-taper. Hope that helps some.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Here's a link. Your bass may or may not be wired like this, but it's a start.

Diagram

8. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Umm, he said it was a tone pot, not a volume or blend pot.
    If you bypass the tone pot your bass will work exactly the same except without a tone control (duh).

P.S. Pot is short for Potentiometer.

Edit: Just thought I should clarify, when I say bypass, I mean disconnect the tone pot and then connect the wire from the other pots to the output jack

9. If the bass is cutting in and out, you either have a short circuit that is taking your signal to ground, or an open circuit that is preventing the signal getting through.
    Short circuits on a passive bass rarely happen unless something moves, so I would start by looking for an open circuit, like dirt on the track of the volume control, etc. Get some switch cleaner, squirt into every pot, and move each of them through their full range of rotation. That may be all it needs, and it is cheaper and less hassle than replacing parts.

10. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana

no, i broke it, i wish it was that simple.

11. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    can i just go to guitar center and tell them and have them hook me up with the pot

hahahaha.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Remove the pickguard, look at bottom of pot. 250 on it, it's 250K. 500 means 500K. Go to a store like GC, they usually have a good assortment of Allparts stuff. Get the same pot, note the position of the wires, unsolder them, remove the old pot, put new pot in, resolder the wires. Done. 30 minutes, max. Excluding drive time and finding a sales person to take your money. Should be in the $2.50-$4.00 range.

13. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    BASSIC83, thank you.

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    No problem, man. Anytime. :)