Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a new rig, and I have no ideas. Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 25, 2004.

1. I'm currently playing an SWR Workingman 4004, which I hate, and an Ampeg 6x10 Classic, which I love (but hate to haul around). So I'm getting rid of everything and building a new rig.

I'm looking at maybe a 4x10 cab and a head around 400 watts. The only problem is that I haven't played much and what I have played I really don't like. I have honestly never played a tube head. I've only played solid state and I'm praying to god that tube is going to sound better. I also don't want to buy something just to get me by. I want to buy the best that I can get and keep if forever.

Right now I'm playing prog. and top 40 rock. I'm looking for a very jazzy tone. Kind of in the Jaco direction. I need some good lows though for when I'm holding down the root. But I want my highs to have some low end and really stand out.

Somebody please help. Point me in the direction of some good equipment. :help:

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I should think (and maybe I'm wrong) that living near a major metropolitan area like Atlanta there should be some decent music stores where you could try out different heads and cabs. Take your bass(es) and go try some different combinations. You might want to do some research here on TB first so that you might have a general idea what to start looking at first but try everything you can get your hands on. Sometimes things you wouldn't think would work wind doing so. Try BEFORE you buy. Saves you a lot of buyers remorse later

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    problem solved!
    get a 550 and the cabs josh mentioned and be happy. :cool:

4. How about adding a Sansamp BDDI to your current rig? That should warm up the SWR. Or, go with a Sansamp RBI (rackmount). You could mount that into the empty rack space of your SWR amp. Hook it up to the effects return of the SWR to bypass the SWR preamp. This way the RBI would be your preamp, and the SWR would serve as a power amp.

This would definety be cheaper then selling your current rig. You could still trade/sell your cab for a lighter one. But I bet the Sansamp RBI would sound great through the Ampeg 6x10.

5. Yeah a WT 550 and the most efficient 4 ohm cab that you like. Edens sound good, but one series is suppossed to have better lows.
    Lots of choices on cabs.

6. I've got a Sans Amp DI box but the EQ is terrible. The highs get thin and the low don't have any definition. Overall I just don't like the sound of the SWR.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I love Eden cabs, and have had lots of success with them. the XST series are a little more $pendy than the XLT's, but worth every penny.....

Bag End are definitely worth a look. Why don't you just grab up another Ampeg since you like their sound anyway?

-Mike

8. Who makes the Iamp 800? and the Thunderfunk?

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
  10. I've never seen either of those in a store. Guess I'm gonna be looking for awhile to find them. I think I can do better as far as the cab goes. I've heard some with some different sounds that I like a lot more than my Ampeg.

What about Trace Elliott? I've heard some stuff about their company not making products as well in their later years. Is this true? How do their heads sound?

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    no one right near me sells EA gear either....fortunately, i can drive an hour to BassNW in Seattle and check it out of i am so inclined.

spendy stuff you asked about, but definitely ranked among the best, and will last forever....two things you requested in your original post.

-Mike

12. Yeah o.k. I'll have to find somewhere. We've got a pretty upscale bass gallery, used to be the warrior shop, here in ATL so I'll call and see if they carry it. I'm not worried about price that much. Whatever it takes is whatever I'll save (thank god I've been blessed with will power). What's the story with Aguilar? I know it's super expensive but is it really worth it?

13. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If you like the sound then yes it is, really good stuff.

Then it might just be worth it to you.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Get these:
    Either Marshall VBA400 or Mesa/Boogie 400+ :)D)
    Scheroder 21012s

and you'll be set for life.

Ray