Need a new rig, want to help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Mar 16, 2006.

1. One paycheck away and that brand new G&L L2000 is mine. Now I need an amp to go with it. Here are some things I am looking for.

Versatility - I play a wide range of music, and haven't found exactly what my tone is yet. I know it isn't GK-esque though, I'm not a guy who like punchy tone.

Portability-This will be my home rig, my practice rig, my gig rig, everything. Where I go, it will go, so I'm mainly looking for smaller cabs or ones that are easily managed by one person, even up sets of stairs.

Price - Isn't as much of an issue, the store I will be buying it from has 12 months no payments no interest, so I can get what I want, and pay it off over the next year.

Brands - The store has limited brands. Eden is the one I've looked at mainly. Other than that they have Ampeg, GK, Fender, Yorkville. Another store, one I don't particularly like, may offer the same deal with Genz Benz and Peavey, but only as a last resort.

Power - I am looking at 400w minimum, and am mainly looking at hybrid heads. Tubed pre, SS power.

I was looking at maybe two Eden D112XLT's and the WT800B or WT550.

The Yorkville XS800H with alternative cabs, or maybe the 210 and 115 if you can really sell me on the 60lbs each.

What can you fellers recommend? I'm sure there are lots you can think of. Thanks in advance!
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I like the Eden idea. Edens can be pretty versitle sounding. A piece of advice is to get as many watts as you can afford in a head. So choose the biggest head you think you can afford, and try it out with as many cabs as you can. If you don't know what tone you like, just keep trying heads and cabs until you find a combination you like.
  3. CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
  4. I really would want two 1212's as ideal cabs for a portable setup, but can't buy them on 12 months no payment no interest, and at over a grand canadian each, I don't have the money right now, maybe in the future though!
  5. Eden WT550 with 2 XLT112's. That'd be awesome! I just bought a 112, it's a great little cab. 2 of them would be absolutley awesome! It's nice a portable, and it's pretty loud too.

As for the heads, you can't go past the WT550. Great little head, seriously powerful, portable and the EQ on that thing is just awesome!

Eden all the way.
  6. Steeltoe

Mar 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out the Mesa Venture 600 hybrid head with a Mesa
    2x12 8ohm cab. I have had mine about a year and haven't
    looked back since. It is manageable to move by yourself
    and the tone is absolutely killer. Costly, but worth it.
  7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I would say this as well. I used to have a 550 and used it with my Bergie HT112. Sounded great. I wanted something smaller and lighter so I went with an AI Focus (3.5 pounds) and a BDDI (1 pound) for a very light weight and portable rig. The BDDI isn't as warm as the Eden, but for my needs it works fine.

The 550 and 2 1X12 cabs would be a very versitile, fairly light and portable rig. Take 1 cab, take 2, whatever, and the 550 will run down to 2 ohms. Endless possibilities.

Hmm...maybe I should have kept that head...
  8. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Have you considered the Traynor YBX1510? It's made by Yorkville, so you should be able to get it at the same store as the XS800H. IMO It's a great sounding box when run with a hyrid/SS head. I don't care for it with the head that is supposed to go with it (YBA200) but I know it sounds killer with the XS400H, and I like the XS800H even more so I don't see why it wouldn't be a great fit.

The YBX1510 is a 2x10, 1x15 and a horn (with L-Pad) combination box. They rate it at 400 watts (4 ohms), but I've talked to the engineers over there and they said that it really should have been rated closer to 600 watts, checking the wattages of each individual driver and adding them up equals 550 watts, so there is probably some truth to that.
  9. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
  10. I think I'm going to go a cheaper route of getting an Eden Nemesis 410 combo and either a 410, 212 or 115 extension cab. The combo is only 60lbs and the cabs are even lighter. Am I wrong for wanting this gear over the higher end Eden stuff? I feel like the worst gear snob ever:( Haha.

If ANY of you have a reason to get this, or not get this, please speak up. Should I shell out extra to get the non-combo? Maybe the extra wattage head too (wont be necessary, really), etc.
  11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If you are looking for a combo, consider the Genz Benz NEOX-112T. It has a selectable/mixable tube and solid state pre, 425 watts to 4ohms, loaded with a 8ohm 12". I just got mine, but so far I am very pleased. The switchable pre makes it quite versitale. In addition, it only weighs 57 lbs, which makes it fairly easy to transport.

Do a search on my posts to find my recent review.
  12. joe skinner

joe skinner

Mar 17, 2006
    If you are going up and down stairs, Schroeder is your man.
  13. Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I like the tone of Nemesis gear. My one caution to you is, don't believe that weight until you weigh it yourself. Eden has a lot of weight errors on their site that they have, unfortunately, been extremely slow to fix. Do a search over at the Eden forum and you'll find a lot of threads about that. The Nemesis NSP210 cab that they advertise as being an ultralight 35 pounds? It actually weighs 50 pounds, which is what they advertise the NSP410 cabinet weighing. If you weigh the 410 combo, I'd bet it weighs more like 75 pounds, not the 62 pounds they advertise. Interestingly, the DC112XLT combo I sold a while back weighed 62 to 63 pounds ... and they still advertise it as weighing 49 pounds.

I respect the quality of Eden gear, I really do ... I'd just advise you to be careful before trusting the advertised weights.

Good luck,
  14. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i agree edens are good, i bought ampeg and i'm not as happy with it as i should be.
  15. Hmm, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem, glad to know it definately. Thanks.

Will I be sacrificing too much tone wise going with Nemesis?
  16. Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Not much, in my opinion. I do like the Eden heads a bit more than the Nemesis heads. The one thing about the cabs, unless they've changed them, is that you don't have a tweeter attenuator on the Nemesis cabs, so you don't have a way to adjust the tweeter. I thought about getting a tech to install a simple on-off switch on the tweeters when I had Nemesis cabs, but never got around to it. But the cabs sound really good as they are.

Good luck!
  17. Pulled the trigger on a NC410 combo, and NC212 extension cab today. Wish me luck. I have a few questions for you guys though if you can help me out. I've done a search on here and it seems a lot of you say that when using an extension, the cab is wired in series externally. Normally it would be parallel on most amps, and this is what it says in the manual for the Nemesis 320w head, that it wires in parallel on the speaker outs. So why am I getting mixed information?

Also, for people in Canada, Eden got a new distributor, I got the 410 combo and 212 cab for under 1300 dollars brand new taxes included, Canadian. That would be like....just over a grand for an Eden fullstack in US dollars. Not too half not bad I'd say!
  18. Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hi, Todd,

The Nemesis combos are designed to give full amp output to the internal speakers, except for the 15" combo (and also I think, the Silver series). So they made a series output for extension cabinets instead of a parallel, which is different than the Nemesis head. You may not gain much volume by having an extension cabinet ... you'll have more speaker area, but less watts.

Did you buy a 4 ohm or an 8 ohm NSP212? And do you have the option of returning it if you try it and it doesn't give you much volume benefit?

Good luck,

19. Ahhh crap, this sucks, maybe I can change it at the last minute for the head and cabs seperate before the order goes through, it's like 200 dollars more, but would be in my best interest I think.