Need a new sound - getting lost in the mix...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AussieJoe, Nov 11, 2005.

1. AussieJoe

Nov 11, 2005
    Ok people hopefully I can get a tip or two form some of you.

I've started playing in a new band recently doing a kinda Portishead v Rage Against the Machine type thing. It's all going pretty well except for my live tone which is driving me nuts. I seem to be getting a massively subby tone that is getting lost in the mix very easily. My rig sounds great on it’s own but in the mix it’s a gonner.

'87 2 band EQ Music Man 4 string
    Ampeg B2R Head
    Peavey TX410 4x10 cab with horn
    Digitech BP200 DSP
    Big Muff Fuzz Pedal (The Russian one)
    Orange Roundwound Nickel strings Med (100, 80, 60, 40)

I play fingerstyle and I don’t play slap much. The music we’re playing has a modern sound with some of it having some pretty big hip hop type riffs. I usually have the tone controls on the bass set to full on the bass knob with the treble wound off a bit what I’m finding is that I’m getting a hugly fat sound on the E and A but even with the treb wound back a bit I’m getting a thin clanky D and G. Live I DI out of the head post EQ. I know the Peavey cab lacks a bit of mid but I compensate by boosting the ultra mid on my amp.

I’m going to try some new strings (La Bella Deep Talkin Bass) and was thinking of getting a Seymore Duncan Basslines pick-up/pre amp but I was just wondering if enayone had any simple ideas about where I going wrong. I don’t really want any replys telling me I need to go out and spend £5000 on a new rig.

Hope some one can help.

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I'll toss out a couple ideas, may not apply in your situation.

Ease back/ditch the muff? Probably pushes your sound into guitar range some, taking away the in mix bite.

Turn up the volume

A few $:
    (Tr)hip-Hop style also seems to lend itself well to the extra low notes provied by w/Low B. Perhaps a B-E-A-D tuning?

Add Compression? Tighten up the sound some.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The main thing to do to cut through is (suggesting your volume is OK) eq. Think about what frequencies aren't being covered, and stick your foot in that door. Example? I'm in a metal band, I thought I'd take a traditional low mid kind of tone and lay off the highs completely. I got there, and the guitarists scoop their EQ smiley face quite a bit. Sooooo, to keep us un muddy, I try to be a bit more mid rangey than I care for, it tightens everything up reaaaaallly nice too.

Remeber, what sounds good solo, doesn't always sound good in a mix.
  4. First of all, I think it was mentioned allready. Don't use the smiley face eq. It sounds cool alone, but is junk in a mix.
    As much as I hate to say it, I really don't like my live "stage sound". BUT it sound swsome in the mix.
    Just for "fun", try using your B2R without the graphic EQ, just use the tone knobs, see what happens. It's worth a shot. Less things to fiddle sometimes make an easier job of things. That's why I switched from an eden navigator and power amp to an aguilar DB750.