Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a new tailpiece...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by justBrian, Jan 7, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hi all. I'm in the market for a new tailpiece for a 3/4 URB. Any ideas? I've tried Southwest Strings anf they don't have what I need. I'll go over to Bob's site, and drop him a line. So, where do you shop for parts? Thanks in advance.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    How do we feel about double frowning on double posting?

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for the tip Bob. Sorry about the double posting, but it's hard to get a reply sometimes-- actually most times. So get off my ass, eh? :D ;) :D

So do you play electric too? Do you play aroud town? Give jazz lessons?

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Bob B. is a luthier, I'm sure he can take care of your tailpiece needs.

5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Just a note on this: there's a guy operating from somewhere in Canada (in Ontario) who's regularly selling oddball musical stuff on e-bay. I'm terribly sorry, I can't remember his name and don't have the reference handy currently (if you're interested I can dig it up.)

Anyway, the guy sells mostly violin stuff, and things like penny-whistles. However, he's had a bunch of DB gig bags and ebony tailpieces that he seems to be auctioning off about 1 unit per week or so. I bought an ebony tailpiece from him for about 40 bucks Canadian. Cheap $$ and good quality.

In e-bay's categories, you can drill down to an upright bass section once you find "musical instruments".

As usual on e-bay, it's buyer beware!

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate them. Also, Bob-- I hope you know I was only joking earlier. I'm trying my hand at repairing this 3/4 I just bought. I need to reset the neck, fit and adjust the bridge, add the tailpiece and strings. Should be a piece of cake, eh? I'll keep you all posted on my progress-- maybe some pics too. :) :cool: :)

7. You must be talking about seller "Bezdez".

I've bought several things from him. He seems to sell a lot of violin and guitar repair parts & tools, and various double bass stuff from time to time.

I've bought several things from him, including an endpin and a set of fingerboard clamps, and a 9-inch tall double bass, which I have sitting in my wall unit beside my television right now. It's a cool little wooden bass.

He has a violin kit up there right now (along with his other 223 auctions) at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=623&item=2500716244 or anyone interested can do a search by seller for bezdez.

I think a bass bag and one of those miniature basses are the only bass items among them at present.

8. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    That's the guy! Couldn't remember his name for the life of me the other day. This short term memory thing is getting worse....

Endpins, tailpieces, gig bags.

9. That might not be a bad idea.

Bob carries a lot of parts that he doesn't show on the website.

Also, you might want to search Ebay for "bass tailpiece".

Right now, there's a boxwood tailpiece with a "buy it now" price of $35.

There are actually a couple of different boxwood tailpieces, one round and one not, and there's an ebony one up for auction too.