1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a new watch

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ziltoid, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I recently lost my only watch and I feel naked now so I need a new one. My budget is limited but I was curious to see what suggestions you guys have as I know there's a lot of watch guys over here.

So far I have these 4 I like:
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005HJQYAE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A331KL6TD3845D

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006D0UAA6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005PSR5P0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=A8IW14H537BNK

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003P1IYUY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=A331KL6TD3845D

Like you can see, my budget is around 200-250, I know it's not ideal but it's all I want to spend.

Suggestions? Ideas? Comments? Random comments etc. are all welcome.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. If you want to spend more than that, I would suggest www.archerwatches.ca. If not, sign up for beyondtherack.com and they have Invicta watches on right now, but only for a few more days.

lowsound

4. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
  5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Seiko!

I have two, and wear one at a time, of course. These are highly reliable, and recommend the brand! It's the choice of the men in our family.

6. Out of all the watches he has listed there, Seiko is the best watch from a movement standpoint. It will be made in Japan, while the others would likely have a much cheaper movement that is made in China.

lowsound

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have a Casio solar powered watch. It talks to the atomic clock in Denver so it never needs setting, and batteries are no longer an issue. I love it!

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Seiko

9. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    Just got a Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium for my B-Day , I love it never wind again made in Japan. Matticus , I really want to see you at a gig wearing the Sponge Bob swatch but I'm afraid I'd laugh so hard I'd hurt myself.

10. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    That first seiko is nice.
    I have a solar seiko & it is brilliant.

11. You could always look at Doxa... personally I'll just stick with the old 90's style timex ironman watches. But if you scuba dive at all, then the doxa is the watch for you, since dive watches are their primary business.

12. Of those 4, either the Eco-Drive or the Swatch.

13. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Timex sports watch. $65. Take a licking and keeps on ticking.

14. i used to use 30.00 timex from wal mart, but i got tired of buying new ones every year or so. (between the hassle of changing battery and the fact that once you crack the battery case it becomes non-water proof, it was cheaper just to buy a new one.)

so...about two years ago, i got a self winding watch off ebay, for about what you say your budget is. it is mechanical, but american made, and i have been happy ever since. no more electronic watches for me.

davesignatureII-1.

15. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Yup that sounds about right Dave, I might get a little longer but I am not sure. I have a jeweler replace the battery, sometimes it's waterproof, sometime I't s not. I'll check out the self-winder.

16. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I love watches! Instead of new, why not get something vintage? Lot's of self-winders and manual winders out there. Or for something completely off the wall, do a search for Bulova Accutron 214 or 218. The worlds first tuning fork watch, and the precursor to the cheap quartz movement.

The engineers at Bulova knew that a tuning fork oscillates at a given frequency when passing current through it, so the challenge was to convert that frequency into seconds.

Japan came along in the 70's, took the same theory knowing that cheap and plentiful quartz crystal oscillated at a given frequency with current passed through it, and cranked out cheap more accurate movements by the millions. Thus killing the Accutron, and darn near the "jeweled" watchmaking business.

Watchmaking is enjoying a revival, but not on the working bass player's budget for the most part.

But owning a watch that was ticking during the Eisenhower or Kennedy administration gives me a secret smile.....

17. do an ebay search for self winding watches. than hit advanced search and put in, say 200-250 for a price range and buy it now.

that should give you a nice selection.

avoid the ultra cheap self winding watches...they are junk.

mine, if i remember correctly, is a Bulova. it doesn't say on the front, but i believe that's right.

davesignatureII-1.

18. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Deals are out there, you just have to look and pounce. I'm currently wearing a '72 SS Rolex Oyster non date I picked up for less than 200 bucks. The SS bracelet I wanted for it cost way more than that from Rolex, but I eventually came across a used one for 75. I wouldn't take 3 grand for it now.

Just be REAL careful buying "quote" Rolex, I was a dealer back in my jewelry days, and I have seen such convincing fakes that I had to have the back taken off to look at the movement before validating a forgery. Dem fakers are getting REAL good.

19. I recently picked up a $100 Armitron Automatic (self winding mechanical) skeleton watch, and I friggin' love this thing.
    uploadfromtaptalk1344561145450.

It has a Seagull movement, which is Chinese, but they have been around for 50+ years and watch guys seem to approve of it.

20. I think you would like the link that I posted earlier in the thread. Very awesome watches, he even makes a line with a vintage Hamilton movement in it.

lowsound