1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a pedal with an active EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J-Dub, Jun 1, 2011.

1. J-Dub

J-Dub Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I love the vintage tones I get out of my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass and Ashdown ABM EVO II amp. I just got an EBS ValveDrive with great tube overdrive and passive eq.

I got rid of my SansAmp PBDDI because the only thing I liked about it was that I could get a nice gritty mid-scooped tone with the eq. Didn't care for the overdrive much.

I now have the perfect overdrive and vintage tones, but every now and then I like to have those active lows and highs similar to what you would hear an active bass use for 'slap tone'.

I don't want to make changes to my bass as I would only occasionally need this sound. All I need is a pedal with active bass and treble controls. Does this exist?

2. J-Dub

J-Dub Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Also, a pedal with a DI out would be nice. I know I had everything I'm asking for with the SansAmp, but I didn't care for the drive. and the programmable version was too much for my needs. I would consider the basic SansAmp BDDI if there is NOTHING else out there. But there has to be a decently priced preamp/DI with active (not passive) eq out there, right?

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Aguilar Tone Hammer
    Sadowsky Preamp/DI
    Radial Bassbone
    VT Deluxe
    Aphex Bass Exciter

I'm sure I'm missing a few...

4. J-Dub

J-Dub Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Thanks CapnSev! These all look great. Is that the order you would rank them? Have you played all these?

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    No, I haven't played them all, I am just listing some options.

I've had the VT, which turned out not to be my thing. I've heard a lot of clips and various comments about the others though.

I also forgot to mention that I am currently using a Markbass Super Booster as my DI/"eq". It's not really an extensive eq per se, since it only employs the filter section of Markbass's eq section, but that's the only eq I use on my amp anyway.