Need a power amp reccomendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Jul 7, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Ok, I got my pre amp a cab picked out already but now I'm having trouble deciding on a power amp.

I'm gonna go with the Ashdown ABM RPM 1 EVO II preamp and the Bergantion NV425 (3x10 + 1x15 , 750rms)

What would be a good poweramp for this setup? Thinking QSC PLX 1202 at 1200w. Is that too much? too little?

I'm looking for a straight up blues/rock sound with a ric 4003 and fender J. and got about $2000 for a rig. What other options do I have?
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A general rule of thumb is to choose an amp whose rating is approximately equal to the loudspeaker's program power rating or to double the loudspeaker's continuous power rating.

And again, that is just a general rule of thumb, not a universal, solves-every-problem rule. Depending on your situation, you might need less power than the rule-of-thumb suggests. You might need more power, in which case you would probably also need either a more powerful loudspeaker (or one that's more sensitive).

Also, you have to consider that it's better to have more power than you need (that is, headroom) than to not have enough.

So if the cabinet's continuous power rating is 750 watts, you might start by looking for an amp rated at around 1500 watts into whatever the cab's impedance is.
  3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Check out the RMX5050. That thing would eat my PLX and Stewart for lunch. And I'll bet those monster transformers would sound a lot better than the goofy power switching amps I use now. Sure, it is a little robust in the weight department, but it has enough power to blow a stinking Triple Rectifier right off the stage. ;)
  4. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

I'll pass on the 5000w, it's a bit much for my needs :)
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    No such thing as too much (used judiciously).

QSC RMX are fewer $/W, but more lb/W.
    [I like the RMX 1850HD or RMX 4050HD.]

Stewart World 1.6 or 2.1 or the QSC PLX series are fewer lb/W, but (if bought new) more $/W.

Crest CA series and Crown Macro Tech series are heavier and more expensive, but can be found used for decent prices.

On the cab front, have you auditioned the Bergantino NV215?
    A very knowledgeable, reliable source says they are really, really good sounding.
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If I had that RMX5050 I wouldn't need to use it all. But I wouldn't have to tell my guitar player to turn down either. All it would take is for me to just point to it during a song and he would be scrambling to get to the gain knob on his Rectifier. I hope I'm not developing an unhealthy lust for the RMX5050. I know it's only 2000 watts more than I'm running now. But there's just something about having that kind of power on tap. I wonder if it is a full 5050 watts or only just 5000? Got to go now. It's time to print up a picture of the RMX5050 from the QSC website to take to bed with me tonight. :smug:
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Were your ears burning?

[Just trying to spread the 'Joy'. ;) ]
  9. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    You can find used Crown Macro Tech 1200's on E-Bay for a very reasonable price, that's what I'm using and it sounds great, it does have a pretty noisy fan that you might not like, but it is built like a tank.
  10. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    WEll, I pulled the trigger on a Crest ST2000 from fella TBer Matt Morgan. It should be here next week :)
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    That'll work; Congrats!
  12. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think you've got the perfect amp picked out, to be honest. If it turns out to be too expensive, then maybe you could land an RMX1450 or RMX850.... but you'd have to deal with the extra weight.