1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeremyJJackson, Apr 7, 2009.

1. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    So as the title may lead you to believe i need a practice amp since lugging my 8x10 and svt between shows, drummers house and home is quite tiresome. It has to be quite small, something like a 1x10 or 12 that has a "good tone" (i know tone is subjective but i mean something that will not distort but hit those lows and highs not a small 15 watt traynor beginner amp)

My budget is around 300 USD but could go much higher if i really like something. I just want something light and good sounding. What do you fellows suggest?

2. My first choice would be a nice, used Roland Cube 100. I like them alot and you should be able to find one for $300.

3. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    Save a little money and pick up one of the Markbass combos. The 1x12 is super light has great punch and is about the size of a small cooler, but if you can swing a little more the 2x10 is where its at. Its got great tone and clarity and is super loud. Mine cuts through two guitar players and a drummer with plenty of headroom to spare. Its only about 40 lbs and is super easy to carry around.

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Traynor DB50 DynaBass 50W Combo Tilt Back $239.99 USD

5. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    Orange Crush 30w

6. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    hmmm i like the look of this one, cheap too

7. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    I was also looking at a ashdown perfect 10 or the 12 inch one, anyone have any experience with these?

8. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    Mark bass is a little too pricey for me since this is meant to be a practice amp. And im not really interested in a stack. I would prefer a combo.

9. Magical_Merlin

Magical_Merlin

Nov 2, 2008
    Kent, WA
    Peavey basic 112 is also very nice.

10. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    I just got a little acoustic combo, they are cheaper than dirt and they sound great!

11. Ampeg BA115 you can find used for about 250-300. It may be a little large for what you're looking for but it's a sweet combo. I love mine.

12. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Believe it not the Ashdown Mag series are pretty decent. I've been playing thru a buddy's Mag 300 115 combo that's pretty good. Not exactly lightweight (60 lbs.), but great tone. Scored it used for RIDICULOUSLY low price.

13. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
  14. froglips

froglips

Feb 9, 2009
    Arizona
    I have the BA115 Ampeg, but it is too huge to lug around.

Then I tried a Hartke 300 (I think they are 30W), and this thing sucked so bad I brought it back the very next day. It can not handle the lows at all, and will distort with the volume at about 6, the low setting set to about half, and the bass set to about half. It sucks real bad! DO NOT BUY THIS ONE AT ALL COSTS!

Then I tried the two small Fender Bass combo amps, and they both sucked as well.

Then I tried two line 6 combo practice amps, and while the little box one was kick but for about $250, the other larger one (Had less watts and costed $100 less) sucked.

Then I tried the Acoustic B10 and B20 side by side. The B10 can not handle the lows. But the B20 kicks royal butt! This is the one I bought, and I jsut love this thing. It is loud as hell, can definitely handle the lows very well. I find it hard to beleive this thing is only 20W, but that is what it says.

It was only $119.99 at the Guitar Center a few weeks ago during their "Green Tag" sales event.

IMHO, you can not go wrong with the Acoustic B20, Bro!

15. Hi.

In cases like this I always suggest SWR WM10, possibly "upgraded" with Deltalite II.
    Should fit the bill even with the upgrade.

Regards
    Sam

16. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I've been using my Fender Blues Deluxe as a practice/jam carry around.

I think it's about 34 pounds and fits in the extra cab back of my Tacoma
    quite easily.

The stock speaker can only handle volumes of about 3, so a light 12" bass driver
    is the only thing I'd upgrade.

It doesn't get those deep lows, but it cuts through just fine so everyone can hear
    at reasonable volumes.

17. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
  18. the review I read said that it distorted really easily. :(

19. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    Thanks for the ideas guys. Im liking the look of that acoustic B20. They are cheap to. I dont need it to keep up with a drummer or any guitarist cause this is solely a bedroom practice amp. So if you guys have anymore ideas let me know.