Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a practise amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armidex, Nov 18, 2000.

1. armidex

armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    yeh i need a practise amp
    the amp we got at home is a fender BXR100 watter
    need a decent samll amp that i can take round
    like 30 watts or so
    know ne good ones?

2. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    I don't have any experience in this area, myself...but I did a search for <i>portable</i> thoughout the Amps forum and found a few threads that might interest you:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7080

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7031

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2048

I'm sure there's plenty of other places here and elsewhere that have covered this. Those are just the first few discussions that jumped out at me.

Good luck!

3. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
  4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
  5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You are not alone in your opinion on practicing w/o an amp. I've seen lots of posts that agree with you but I fail to see the logic of practicing one way and then performing another way.

IMHO, if you can't hear the mistakes. you can't correct the mistakes. I know that you can hear(barely) the fundamental notes but there are harmonics present thru the amp that are inaudible w/o an amp.

Just my opinion, of course.

Pkr2

6. I agree with pkr2.. with an amp you will hear a lot more of what you do wrong. If you can't hear what you're doing wrong.. you can't fix it.

http://www.bassplayer.com/z1999/9908f/amps.shtml This is Bassplayer's Practice Amp shootout. It's a pretty good read.

My first amp (and what I use now if I need something small) is a Crate BX-15. It doesn't sound that great, but few practice amps really do. It's light, reliable, sounds decent enough so that I'm not totally turned off by it when I play it, and it was damned cheap.. got it used for 50$ US.

I'd imagine most music stores will have a few cheap used practice amps that are in fine working condition. Look around and try stuff out.. ideally with a bass similar to your own.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think it's important to practice through an amp, but I hear a lot more of what's actually happening when I practice through headphones.

8. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I use a little Fender BXR-25 that I like a lot. It's now changed names to the Frontman 25B. Great tone out of a small box with a 10" speaker.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    PIGNOSE HOG 30.

I think every bass player should own one. It sounds pretty good, has bass - middle - treble controls, and YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE BEACH! It runs for hours on a single charge, it's really light and portable. I feel if yer gonna have a practice amp, it may as well serve a couple of purposes. I've used mine to jam outside countless times. Keeps up nicely with a couple of acoustics guitars and some bongos. They cost around $140. Oh yeah - and I've gotten better customer service from Pignose than any company I've ever dealt with in my life. The owner of the company sent me free batteries when I fried mine, AND his home phone # if case I had a problem putting them in (it was an urgent rush situation where I needed the amp). Very unlike Fender customer-service who told me I had to remove the neck of my new P-bass Deluxe in order to adjust the truss rod.

I love my Pignose.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've seen those and the idea of playing outside without a power cord sounds great. How long will a battery charge last? Do you think that it would work in a setting with two electric guitars playing through small practice amps and a set of congas?

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    When the Pignose is really cranked, it lasts about 2 hours. At lower volumes, when I use it in the house it seems to last forever (maybe 8+ hrs).

It's hard to say whether it would hold up to 2 electric guitars and a Conga. If you were playing layed back balldads, yes - if he guitars were cranking - probably not. It really seems to do best jammin with another acoustic guitar and a little percussion. It doesn't have all that much bottom, but like I said - it lets me finally bring my bass to the beach and jam with the guitarists that used to make me jealous. I have a Carlo Robelli acoustic bass that cost only $150 (floor model at Sam Ash), and the 2 together really kick ass.

If you have any more questions that I can answer, I'd be happy to. Email me at nervemail@aol.com.

12. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Peavey Microbass, a great little practice amp.

13. basspla915

basspla915

Mar 28, 2000
    Bangor, Maine
    I'm with MJB. The Peavey is a great practice amp. Not a lot of power, but it sounds like a whole lot more!!

14. armidex

armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    thanx guyz fer all the info

u guys are a great help

15. i got an old 70's fender musicmaster bass tube amp . i love it for practice in the house. rated i think 13 watts . has a12 inch speaker, and a nice warm tube sound. i see them around for @150 average....