Need a pre-amp mentor!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Apr 16, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hello All,

Just received my pre-amp via-mail-via-e-bay.
    The Ashley Bp-41 Bass pre-amp. I have read super things about this pre-amp. Now I have it!
    Except one little thing....never have owned a pre-amp in my life!!! I just switched from guitar to bass, (10 months ago), I have been slowly building my rig. I'm a monster police I got my..

1) Fender Precision, (1986), soon to be Warmothed/frettless.
    2) Fender embroidered strap, (gods in the details)

Next up....

3) At least 1000 watts of Carvin or Peavey
    4) A nice 2x12 cab
    5) A good compressor/limiter
    6) 1/3 octave eQ

So to make a short story long...I need someone to be my buddy for a few posts...someone that can explain to me all the things about the pre-amp I don't know. Mainly...when I use it with another amp. IOW..while I'm saving up to complete my rig..I will either be playing through a rented rehearsal studio rig or my pathetic practice rig at home, (which consists of a 6 channel Yamaha, 200 watt powered mixer and a full range speaker).

How do I apply my pre-amp to these rigs so I can get a good sound and more importantly with out damaging them. Someone help me out with this.

Klark Kent
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    try calling up the doods from where you bought the pre? i'm sure they can help walk you thru your cunnedrum. or give the LA Bass Exchange guys a call. Long's the man!
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    it should be pretty straightforward... the output of the preamp into the input of one of the mixing channels. Always start with everything turned off and the volume knobs on zero. common sense should keep you from damaing anything.
  4. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    Uh,, you're gonna run "at least 1000 watts" thru one 2x12 cabinet?
  5. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    From what I have read, that should not be a problem, I do want to get a high rated cabinet.

I still need someone to talk me through this, any takers???

Klark Kent
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Put your questions in this thread and I'm sure you'll get answers.

I owned an Ashley preamp years ago. Nice preamp, used it as the front end of a triamp rig. Younger, dumber days :)
  7. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Hey Klark--I have owned an Ashly BP-41 for about 12 years now. It's a great pre. I still have it but don't use it anymore, but I know everything about how to use it! Ask me!!