1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a Pre-CBS Fender expert here

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pjmuck, Nov 23, 2010.

1. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Question: at what point in the manufacturing process of a neck would Fender stamp the date on the heel? After the frets, inlays, nut, truss rod, etc. were installed? Before? Or at some point in between? The reason I ask is I've come across a supposedly original '62 Jazz neck stamped as such on the heel but it has pearl inlays, which supposedly weren't introduced until late '64. Is it possible the neck was made and stamped in '62 but left unassembled until '64 for further installment of the "newer" pearl inlays?

2. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    pj, where did you run across it? I'm here on the shore. There aren't too many vintage guys around anymore. Call Stanley Jay at Mandolin Bros. in Staten Island/Brooklyn. Or also try Matt Umanov in NYC. They could probably tell you immediately. I'm thinking that you might have a 1962 neck but it was modded at some point after market.

tom

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    that seems odd...maybe the fretboard (including inlays) were replaced at some point?

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    ALL 1962 fender basses had clay dots. if the neck in question has pearloid ones, then they have been replaced. i had a '64 CAR j bass with matching headstock and they were clay dots as well, although later '64's had the pearl ones.
    BTW early fender necks had slab boards and later '62's had curved veneer boards.

here's a pic of the heel of my seafoam green p bass's (clay dot) neck:

62datestamp.

5. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Alright I'll spill the beans. Here's the bass in question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230553715464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's not a '62 per say, but a '64 lefty J. Note the upside down neck stamp too, right smack in the middle of the truss rod route. :rollno:
    I know that dating early Fender lefties can be extremely difficult, since they often cobbled together left over parts from previous years to make an instrument as needed. But in this case, I wouldn't think that Fender would have a '62 left J neck blank or partially built neck without markers installed lying around for two years waiting for assembly. That's why I asked if it's possible that they date the neck at some earlier build stage prior to installing other neck components, such as the dot markers.

6. Glad I'm not the only one wondering about this bass.
    My guess is that since the stamp looks authentic, but upside down, it was a blank that was originally made in 62, but not finished until 64 when the bass was ordered. Which would make the placement of the truss rod to the stamp make some sense.

I'm still debating whether I want to get into the bidding on this guy, it looks like a player, I'm a little concerned on the amount of fret wear, this bass looks really well played.

7. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Probably since yours was a special order lefty they used blanks that were bulk made for lefties in a 1962 run. Absolutely possible.

Based on the description it looks legit, and the button markers actually look like clay to me, not pearl.

8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
  9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that bass is definitely the real thing and worth quite a bit of $. the dots look like clay ones (which could be correct) to me, but it's hard tell in the pics. it's funny/unusual how he decide to mount the chrome pickup cover over the bridge.
    and yes, the '5' is a p bass neck code, but it's obviously been shaped to jazz bass width at the nut, which is not uncommon for a lefty.

10. Gort

Gort Banned

Nov 3, 2010
    Area 51
    +1

11. if it is pre-cbs its going for a good price

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    those are clay dots for sure

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    it's not "gone" yet ;)...8 days left to bid, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close to $10k

14. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    It it was all original it might bring close to 10k, but since it's a complete refin it will proabaly be half of that.

15. I'm really hoping it stays unnoticed, but I doubt that will happen
    :rollno:

16. If you do win it, fix the pickup cover situation and post new pics, that's driving me bonkers!

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    very true!

also a very cool looking jazz bass.