Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a quick answer to head question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Walbodiddy, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Hi, All.

I need some quick feedback on choosing heads. I'm going to be running a Goliath III (4 ohm) with either the Eden WT-800 or WT-400.

I'd like to use the 400, as I can find one quite a bit cheaper but I don't know how much clean volume I can expect out of it. The largest space it will need to fill is medium-large (I'd say it's on the smaller end of large, if that makes any sense) church building. The acoustics are terrible but that's another thread...

Anyway, I'm fairly sure the 400 will be enough power but I don't want to put out the cash only to find it's not loud enough or starts losing clarity or depth.

What do you guys think?

2. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    If it turns out it isn't loud enough then why not just mic it through the pa? Also, some music stores will let you rent gear, so you might want to rent one for a week to try it out.

3. Actually, I'm running through the PA now and it's one of my biggest motivations for getting my own rig. We have a rotation of three sound techs, one who knows what he's doing. The other two are there more often and like to do awful things to my monitor levels and eq (they're in the back of the building changing my mix; they have no idea how the it sounds on stage!). The sound techs are bad enough but the PA itself is almost as bad. It's underpowered and never consistent due to the varying tastes of the sound techs. One guy likes loads of treble with voices high in the mix, another loves tons of bass and instruments at the top of the mix (I don't personally mind this one, though... <grin>) and another just cuts my volume in half anytime he's at the board. The PA itself also has pretty poor sound quality in the bass range. The mids and treble are okay, though nothing exciting, but the bass sounds like mush.

So... I'll quit ranting now. But that's why I want to be independent of the sound board. Any suggestions on how to set this up for the most well-balanced sound in the audience would be appreciated.

Also, I would rent but we've only got two local music stores around here that carry any higher end equipment and neither of them stock Eden.

4. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    The WT-400 will be more than enough amp in your case. I'm running a WT-300 into my Goliath III, and I've never run into any power issues. I do find myself working the amp's limiter circuit pretty hard, but that extra 100 watts of power might be just enough to clear that up.

Oh, and you might consider changing the preamp tube to a 12AX7. In my case, it made all the difference!

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    With a single 4 ohm cab, the WT800 won't put out any more power than the WT400 because it's stereo and only mono-bridges into 8 ohms.

6. I agree with all above. audiosolace, wownirvana and boogiebass are on the money IMO:)

With one side note:

If you ever think you'll run an 8 ohm cabinet, or two cabinets simultaneously in the future - you will wish you had the big guy, guaranteed.

7. Thanks for the responses, All; very helpful!

It looks like I'll go with the 400 unless I find a fantastic deal on the 800. I don't see multiple or 8 ohm cabs in my future. This should be all the punch I need... I hope. :D

Audiosolace, what kind of a difference did swapping in the 12AX7 make for you? I'm thinking changing a preamp tube would change your tone but I'm really not sure here.