Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a rack.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robb., Jun 24, 2004.

1. i used to have a 4-space gator polyethylene rack case that i used with a crown K2, ampeg SVP-BSP, and peavey max. the total weight was about 65 pounds. i was not happy with how the rack shape deflected over time.

now i have a warwick quadruplet preamp and a crest pro 7200 power amp and i'm looking for the right 4 space rack option.

i wanted to go rack bag: i called the manufacturer and they said the weight of my rig should be ok with the rack bag, and it has zippered front and rear flaps to allow plenty of airflow. nice. but now i'm concerned about having space for the front handles of my amp with the front flap zipped. i'm also concerned there won't be much protection for the knobs of the front of my preamp. sweetwater doesn't keep these in stock, so they couldn't answer my question. i may have to call the manufacturer again.

i'm a little reluctant to spend $100 on a rack case, however, that will not stand up to the rigors of use. i don't want to go full ATA flight case as that is heavier than i'd like.

i think i've pretty well eliminated every choice, though. any suggestions, personal experiences, anecdotes, or scary stories to offer? any help is appreciated.

robb.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got a couple of Mesa/Boogie rack bags, and they have worked well for my needs. They are pretty beefy, and have plenty of ventilation. True, the cover for the front and back is soft, but it's heavy enough to repel most sharp objects. There's enough room in there to accomodate knobs and rack handles, too.

3. cool. thanks.

it looks like the mesa is exactly what i need (except for not being 4space), and very similar to the one i'm looking at by modern case. 1/4" plywood "frame" covered in nylon with zippered front and rear flaps.

i think i will have to call the manufacturer and ask them what kind of clearance there is between the rails and the front flap just to be safe. if it is adequate, i have found my answer!

thanks!

robb.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They make them in all sized up to 8 spaces I believe. The two I have are a two space and a five space.

You're welcome.