1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a real amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Jan 2, 2001.

1. I need opinions on these...

Ampeg BA115
    GK RB400 combo
    Hartke 2115
    any othe you may suggest
    i'm looking for a very versatile amp that will get me from "McCartney" to "Flea" (tonewise)
    PA is barely possible

2. relman,

i'm in the same situation as you... looking for a powerful, versatile combo that won't break the bank. what's i've found out, reading reviews and what not:

ampeg is great for warm, tonesy stuff. not a good choice for slapping and popping though. you might be able to get around this by adding on an extension speaker that can reproduce the highs.

not a whole lot of difference between the GK and Hartke it seems. the 400RB 2-10" combo has really caught my attention, though. it's got good reviews for doing flea stuff (doesn't flea play through a GK?) and you can add on a 15" extension super-easy that looks like it was made to fit. it's my impression that the hartke is a bit cheaper.

also consider SWR's Workingman 15 and Nemesis NC-112P, 115, 210 or 212. These are more modern sounding from what i've heard and you may have difficulty getting some of the vintage tones. but i hear they have pedals that can take care of that.

3. the thing is I really need a rainbow of tones, and I'm not very sure about the GK being that versatile...Is it?

4. I would say more than the Ampeg. The GK and Hartke should provide similar experiences. They can both get a very bright sound, but can also be very muffled and bassy ( I think some people call this 'warm') depending on how you set the eq. You may want to go with a 1x15 combo though.