Need a really cheap recorder!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Mar 24, 2001.

1. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    my band is on... a budget and we do not have much money to spend but would love to get a demo done.. we have a bassist, 2 guitarists, a drummer and a vocalist.. and we want something that will record good.. has anyone tried the Cakewalk Home Studio computer software??? any other programs??? Has anyone recorded with a Fostex?? Please make reccomendations.. Thanks, Evan
  2. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for respondin , but we're talkin CHEAP.. as in no more than 200.. preferably less... Thanks again, Evan
  3. it wont sound the best but hey it will do!.

-get your computer
    -have a sound card
    -download a proggy such as
    *goldwave if you wanna record it live
    *or quarts sound free track recorder which i use (upto 16 tracks or 24 i think u can have)
    -get a cheap mixer from radio shack
    - 1 microphone (go with the microphone i found this much better than the mixer)
    plug it into your mic in on the sound card
    start up your recording proggy
    and play =]
    after that save it as mp3
    or burn it straight onto a cd.
    u can play around with the sound effects to make it sound better.

iv done this with 4 live bands and many times with recording of my bass lines
    it comes out fine but it isnt the best, its very amature. so in ur case seeing its a demo you should have any problem!

i found when usnig the mic meathod
    bring your amps in front of the drum kit
    and place the mic directly facing the bass drum up high in the air and about 3-4 meters away from all the sound
    this helps with the clarity and if you dont have loud amps
    it picks up more of the amps than the drums!.

this shouldnt get u back more than 40-50odd bucks AUD
    thats about 25-30 bucks USD. it all depends on what you have to buy, i do suggest a high quality sound card and mic!

4. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    okay, thanks for postin, but i have a couple of questions...

First, isn't a sound card internal?(inside the computer).. 2nd, where can i download the programs.. Thanks for posting!!
  5. yes the sound card is in the back of the computer
    and depending on the mic you get, u will need mostly likly a 1/8 to 1/4 converter, which you can pick up for probely about $1-2 dollars from any electricle store. to download the proggies goto
    goldwave: (1 track recorder, good for live recording)
    quartz audiomaster: (upto 8 track audio recorder and 16 track midi)
  6. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    or you could check ebay for recorders. They usually have some good deals for 4 track digital recorders (for the extra guitar you can ping pong). You can usually find them for around 350, sometimes cheaper and sometimes more.
  7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I've gotten some amazingly good recordings off the board and with my Sony MZR-70 minidisk. Single mic-ing with a Sony MS907 condenser mic has gotten some good results too. You should be able to pick up this kinda rig for $300ish, cheaper if you shop hard or get lucky. If you're starting from scratch a minidisk is the only way you're gonna get any reasonable quality for the $$$ you wanna spend.
  8. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Fostex makes some good analog multitrackers for cheap(like 125-400) and i'm actually thinkin about gettin one.
  9. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I downloaded the Quartz Audio Master Freeware and it is REALLY COOL! I highly recommend it over 4-tracks or other analog recorders... Thanks for suggesting it!!!
  10. I think you can find a Tascam Porta-Studio for under $200 from Musician's Friend.
  11. FleaRHCP

Mar 26, 2001
    Rockford, MI
    hey if u wanna look around at them the site has a buncha ****. you can order free catalogs from them. half the catalog is recording stuff and recordind accesories.
  12. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, man i get musicians friend and AMS...

P.S. what other musical equipment magazines to you "subscribe" to or order from?... Thanks,
  13. I downloaded that Quartz Freeware thing, but unfortunately have no clue how to use it! The help doesnt help much, they expect you to know how everything already.. I just want to plug my bass into the computer and hit a record button....
  14. FleaRHCP

Mar 26, 2001
    Rockford, MI
    whats AMS i did a seaerch and all that came up was American Math Society whats the website or what does AMS stand for?
  15. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
  16. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fleabass, it took me a LONG time to figure out how to do it, and i will email you and tell you exactly how if you would like... email me at or post ..
  17. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just recorded a 4-track CD with the Quartz program and it was great quality.. of course my mic isn't the best, but I HAVE MADE A CD!!!!!! I have waited for this day SO LONG!!! ... thanks to the dude who referred the program to me... Good luck fleabass....
  18. good to hear u like it!!.

dun worry iv been using a computer mic for years and it does wonders

with a tiny bit of mastering it tursn out great!!!

i suggest you grab goldwave
    and play around with eh effects
    and see what u can really do with your cd.

another thing to
    check out
    N-Track Studio (
    it does cost buts is very very very much worth it!!!

give us a yell if u need more info

PS, who said u had to have an analog recorder to be a pro =]
    *hugs his PC*