Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a recommendation for a John Zorn album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Foo-O-Matic, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Foo-O-Matic

Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    Israel
    Hi, yesterday I watched the TV channel Mezzo, and there was a live show of John Zorn called "Electric Masada", and oh my, it was so awsome! I had no words... I was also surprised a bit, because I heard the "Naked City" album a long time ago and didn't really like it. what I saw yesterday was really special, there was an awsome guitarist there named Marc Ribot, a great Keyboardist named Jamie Saft, and some other people... so, can someone recommend me a good Zorn album similar to what I've heard yesterday?
    thanks in advance!

2. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Check out all the Masada albums. As I understand it, Electric Masada is just an "electrified" version of a bunch of Masada songs.

Also, check out "the Gift".

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ALL the Masada albums?! That's about 50, right? ;)

I have picked up my fair share of Zorn albums of late...Zorn has a whole series of recent albums dealing with his 50th birthday, a whole month of live shows that'll knock yer socks off.
    From that series, I picked up-
    Masada, Volume 7
    Electric Masada, Volume 4
    John Zorn/Milford Graves Duo, Volume 2 (Sax/Drums duo...if you're into sax/drums, this is happenin').

All three of these are outstanding.

I also recently added the Complete Naked City box.
    Radio was my first exposure to Naked City...I recommend that one. The 1st tune, "Asylum", is sick. Fact is, I had rehearsal today & was showing off my mp3 player to the other band members...I played "Asylum" for each. The drummer got through the entire tune(approx. 2:00 long), the other two lasted about 30 seconds each.

Zorn also pops up on a couple of the Music Revelation Ensemble discs.

www.downtownmusicgallery.com has a TON of Zorn discs.

4. Foo-O-Matic

Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    Israel
    well, before reading the replies I tried the 1st volume of Masada (Alef), and found that I don't really like it... I don't know, it is a bit monotonous and repetitive - not that I don't have respect for it, it is special, but not my style. I don't hear those lush and energetic soundscape from that live show I saw.
    I'm actually looking for a record with a variety of instruments, like keyboards, guitar, bass and so on. and those percussions by the crazy guy from the show did added ALOT. (I think his name was Beptista or something)
    I hope you understand what I'm looking for...
    and I will try to listen to the albums you mentioned soon.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cyro Baptista.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Foo-
    Try Electric Masada, #4 from Zorn's 50th Birthday celebration(Pink cover).
    The personnel-
    Zorn-alto
    Marc Ribot-guitar
    Cyro Baptista-percussion
    Kenny Wollesen-drums
    Joey Baron-drums
    Tevor Dunn-bass
    Jamie Saft-keyboards
    Ikue Mori-laptop electronics

7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    +1

His rendition of shot in the dark (no, not the Ozzy tune) is my favorite track from the album.

8. Foo-O-Matic

Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    Israel
    Thanks alot, I will look for them. :)

9. I also really love his story board stuff like "Spillane". Check it out.

10. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Oh, how great this disc!
    On the "un-electryfied" side I recently bought the DVD "Masada Live at Tonic 1999" by Antonio Ferrera and I highly reccomend it to everyone!
    And don't forget to give to the Bar Kokhba Sextet a listening ...