1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a recommendation for flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Nov 23, 2018.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Been playing Ps for decades, but with round wounds, either Rotosound Swings or LoRiders (45-105). Just got another P for flats. It came with Fender flats - sound great, but too stiff. Any suggestions for string/gauge for a traditional flats thump, but with a similar stiffness/tension? I was thinking of trying Chromes, but going to a slightly lighter gauge (40s).

2. GHS Precision Flats 3025, 45-60-75-95.

christle likes this.
  3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    LaBella 760FL work for me. GHS Precision Flats were also good and traditional sounding.

armybass and Pilgrim like this.
  4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    A second vote for the LaBella 760FLs but the Chromes 40’s are cool too but a much brighter vibe than the 760’s.

5. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    How about feel? As I said, I'm looking for something that will feel close to those rounds as to stiffness/tension.

6. I find the GHS Precision Flats 45-95 slightly more comfortable than the La Bella 760FL (43-60-80-104) in terms of overall stiffness and playing feel without being too loose and floppy. I also like the tonal balance of the GHS with a clear and articulate 95E and a non-twangy 45G. In comparison, the La Bella 104E tends to be a bit too muddy and the Chrome 40G is way too bright and twangy for my taste.

Contrapuntal and buldog5151bass like this.
  7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    A smaller gauge flat wound set than what you're used to with rounds, is about the only way to approximate the round's stiffness. Finding some flats with a round core will help, too... Personally, I solved this "problem" by just stringing almost all my basses with flats - but that won't work for everyone, I guess...:whistle:

buldog5151bass likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I ordered the Precision Flats 45-95s. @GIBrat51 I like the flats for blues, jazz, and some older rock,but I need a brighter tone for a lot of the tunes I play.

9. I wouldn't consider the GHS Precision Flats to be "bright" as such; however, they can hold a strong presence in the mix, thanks to their clean and articulate low-mid punch.

10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    That last part was kind of a joke. I know that not everyone is stuck back in the early '60s musically ( where I'm very happy) - a fact that's made sometimes painfully clear every time I turn on a radio...