1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a Recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trytoplay, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Trytoplay

Trytoplay

Jun 23, 2008
    Minot, ND
    Well I've been messing around on bass for about 9 months now. The bass I have been using is a Dean Playmate Acoustic Bass or something like that. I recently fell into a pretty decent job and have recently purchased a Genz Benz GBE1200 amp and a Lakland 55-94 over the internet.
    The problem I am having is deciding on a cab. Now where I live there are two music stores but both only sell Peavey and Fender amps/cabs. I haven't had a chance to really go in and test them but I am assuming there are better cabs out there. So basically, I am wondering what is the best sounding 4x10 cab out right now, since I won't be able to test any. If it helps I would be interested in playing funk, jazz, rock etc. (All I know is Tool covers at the moment) :x

Thanks much,
    Reece

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What's your budget?
    Do you care how much it weighs?
    Do you plan to start gigging with it, or is this just for at home /at a friend's house?

3. Trytoplay

Trytoplay

Jun 23, 2008
    Minot, ND
    Budget is 2000 and under? :s
    It will be for my house right now but eventually i would like to gig with it. Weight isn't so much of an issue but id like something under 150 lbs

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    If you wanna go the cheap route,
    check these out.

www.avatarspeakers.com

I've heard good things about the Genz-Benz cabs, and the Aguilar cabs get nothing but praise.
    Don't forget about Bergantino either, they're more than well loved here.

5. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I'm definitely a Genz Benz guy, but I've played through a lot of different equipment and my personal opinion is that the GBE-1200/NEOX-212T is possibly the best pairing that I've heard. With that kind of fundage available, I would get 2 of the 212 cabs for flexibility. One would do you for many situations, but you could use both (and all 1200W) when you really need to move some air. Plus, you could leave one at a practice space and still have one for home. 4 12's right at 100 lbs... I have 2 NEOX-212T cabs and have never regretted it.

Concerning non-Genz cabs, a lot of people sing the praises of Avatar, so they seem like good stuff. Bergantino, Schroeder, Mesa... the list goes on. What a happy dilemma to have :)

6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    The GB 212 Neo goes great with that head.

Sounds like a pretty decent job cause that's a great 'first rig'. Congrats!