Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a small amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biggwigg, Apr 2, 2005.

1. biggwigg

biggwigg

Dec 6, 2004
    hello I just got a new rickenbacker 4003 a few weeks ago and needed a little amp to practice with. Since this is my first bass im kind of a new to all of this. I need something that I can use headphones with and listen to cds if possable. How much dose something like this cost? I wanted info from people that play and not from someone trying to sell me stuff. Also if anyone knows anything else I should get to make learning to play easier feel free to let me know. I can't wait to get started.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Buy a metronome, and use it while you practice.

You have several options for a small practice amp. You can get one for around $90 used. Let's start by having you tell us how much you have to spend, or want to spend.

-Mike

3. biggwigg

biggwigg

Dec 6, 2004
    how much I am willing to spend depends on how soon I need it. If i can get by for a while without one then I will wait and get what would be best, like I did with my bass instead of getting something just to have it. I was thinking a couple hundred for right now. So if having an amp to hear what im playing is real important I will get a small practice amp now. Unless I dont need one right away and just learn scales, modes, reading music ect... I figured you guys would know more about learing than I would since you already been thru it. sorry about rambling I guess I should have asked what would be the better option first then figure out what I need lol it just seems like a lot at one time. Perhaps im thinking to hard :rollno:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No man, it's cool dude. I bought myself a headphone amp for $40 at GC when I was first learning.

If you check out eBay, you can grab a 25 or 30 watt practice amp for $50 or so. You can also get a pretty good amp for $300 that will work for practice and small gigs. There are a ton of choices for small practice amps. Some guys even use the little guitar amps as long as you don't turn it up too loud.

-Mike

5. biggwigg

biggwigg

Dec 6, 2004
    cool thanks ill deff pick up a metronome. I think im gonna get a headphone amp for now then get something bigger depending on my needs at that time. plus im hard at hearing so the headphones will help a lot at first to get used to the sounds
    thanks for the help

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No problem. When you get ready to upgrade to something bigger, make a note of some of the brands you are interested in. Do a search here in the amps forum for those brands, and you will find loads of info from guys who use the gear that can give you insight into how well it performs.

-Mike

7. The Peavey Microbass is an excellent 15W practice amp.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    for practice with cds or what have you i think there are a few headphone units that will let you plug in a cd player or even a line from a headphone out from a pc. i had to buy adapter cables but that's what i do with one of my amps that has a headphone output and that is one of the best things i have done.

in my experience, the quality of the headphone amp doesnt matter anywhere near as much as the quality of the headphones. regular walkman headphones will usually distort teribly with a bass. you're probably looking at getting some medium good headphones like akg-240's for about a hundred bux (which also make great headphones in general).

9. Another vote for Micro Bass.