need a small bass cab, preferrably a 12X2 or 10X2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rx jr., Jul 31, 2004.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    are 10X2 cabs good enough for practicing and playing at a gig? I'll most likely be using it with a guitar preamp and poweramp (yes, a guitar preamp). I'll be playing both guitar and bass though the cab. I already like I tone I can get from a bass speaker so why not.

or should I just get a guitar cab and get a SansAmp BDDI and go directly to the PA?

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I've never seen a 10x2 cabinet before and would seriously worry about the low end response of a 2" speaker :p

Seriously, your question can't be answered without more info. How loud is your band, are you using it for a monitor or in place of the PA, what kind of tone are you after.....

At moderate volume gigs a 2x10 would work. I'm using a 2x12 and going through the PA for what I do, so the bass cab is more of a LOUD monitor than the main sound.

Let us have more info - you'll get more responses!

Dan K.
  3. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    i don't know how loud my band is because I'm not in any. I'm gonna use it in my dorm room and when I join a band use it instead of getting another big amp.
  4. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Some things to remember:

Guitar distortion destroys Tweeters, even if the attenuator is turned down (it doesn't sound good anyway).
    Bass through a guitar cab destroys the guitar speakers (not designed for low end), but it sounds SWEEEEET.
    Guitar through bass speakers will sound muffled, and the high end won't be anywhere near crisp (but you can crank the hell out of them).

What I currently use is an Avatar 1x15 by itself for bass, and for guitar, I use the 1x15 plus a Celestion 1x12 cab I made. Massive low end, and nice glassy highs for guitar.

I like having two separate cabs, but if you really want one cab, the best route IMO is a 2x12, one bass speaker, and one guitar speaker, with a crossover. Best of both worlds, and the bass won't ruin your guitar speaker because of the crossover.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, those new Bose tower thingies are 12 twos in a line array. They still need the accompanying subs to get any bottom out of them. I'd sooner go with a 210 like the Eden D-210XLT.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it would help to know what kind of guitar amp you are using and how many watts it puts out at 8 ohms and at 4 ohms
    if i had to choose 1 speaker to do double duty i might go with a bagend 15 - they sound great for bass and i've used them with guitar as well
    it's important to remember (as previously stated) that in almost all cases you shouldn't use speakers designed for the electric guitar for the bass as the bass will usually fry them
    speakers designed for the bass will generally not "break up" like electric guitar speakers, so any distortion you want to get when playeing electric guitar will have to come from your amp's electronics
    i would stay away from any cabinets with tweeters as these usually dont sound good with electric guitar
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What is your budget?
  8. I like my Avatar b212 for bass. Never tried it for guitar but you already said you like the sound of guitar through bass cabs. Sounds great, excellent value, tons of power handling.