Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a Small PA for rehearsal only

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eclipse7, Aug 26, 2002.

1. eclipse7

eclipse7

Jun 24, 2002
    I need a small PA for my rehearsal room. The room is about 11.5’ by 15.5’ with 8’ ceilings, not a big room but enough space to rehearse. We don’t need to run any of the bass or drums through the PA. The only thing I want to run through the PA is the lead vocals from our singer and I may put a mic in front of the guitar players amp. We will probably add additional mic’s for background vocals later.

I am looking at the Complete PA in a box type setup. I know these are a waste as far as expandability, but I wouldn’t mind spending $300 to $400 for a PA that would only be used in the rehearsal room. If we ever get to the point that we are ready to play out, then I would make the investment in a high quality PA system. I just don’t want to spend $5000 on a PA system until we are positive that the band is going to work out.

There are quite a few systems out there: Kustom Profile One, Crate, Nady. Any opinions on these systems or any suggestions on a different way to setup a small PA for rehearsal. Again, I don’t ever intend on trying to use any of this PA gear for anything other than rehearsal. I will probably rent PA gear once we are ready to gig and then I can try renting different gear until I find something that works well for us.

Thanks.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

For small rehearsals, I'd go with a combo. PEAVEY KB300 or something like that.

3. I think a good way to go - no matter what you use to drive them - is to get floor monitors as your speakers. You could have more than a couple, each member could have their own and they can go right where they're needed. They don't cost a lot and they stack easily for when you need to load out.