1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a small travel amp for $100...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Definitely, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I have just under a week to decide before I go but I need a small travel/practice combo amp for $100 or less. A little over is ok, but nothing as high as even $150. Don't have time to go poking around and searching for a good used one, just something around that price range to take to the grandparents in a week (not much to do there) and for times when I need to move to a different room or whatever and so I don't have to lift a 2x10 combo up and down stairs. Thanks guys!

I'm looking at an Ampeg BA-108 at the moment, but just looking.

2. Try an Orange Crush PiX 25BX. 25 watts of power and an OK EQ section. Also, check out the Vox Amplug Bass. Pretty cool.

3. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I can't afford the Orange right now, but the Vox does look interesting if I can find one around.

4. Going ampless is always a pretty good idea for these kinds of situations, just be careful not to melt your eardrums. :D

5. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Budget Ampegs are getting so-so reviews. Check out Acoustic's little guys. They sound really good and Guitar Center owns the company now and the sales guy was saying something about something fix it broken or something good like that.

I tried out this little guy:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B10-10W-1X10-Bass-Combo-Amp-105016323-i1435231.gc

And it sounded fantastic. Swear to God I liked it better than the $800 MarkBass combo. Honest!

Good luck!

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Look into a portable bass trainer. Tascam has one. Or possibly a headphone amp.

7. +1, and a little 'battery powered' bass headphone amp is perfect for practicing while traveling in different counties plus it could fit in your bass guitar case.

8. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Found a local store that carries the Amplug, if they have it in stock. Can't find Acoustic anywhere though. The Ampeg BA-108 had all great reviews except for one person who was complaining that it couldn't hold up with a drummer...it's a 25 watt 1x8 so I don't know why he thought it would...

9. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I have a ampeg ba 108 and hate the thing. It farts out past 2. I also have a fender rumble 15 and love it. It's $99 new.

10. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Hmm, that was my problem with my old one and the reason I got rid of it. I'll try it out at the store and push the volume to see, thanks for the heads up!

11. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Fender Rumble also has headphone out/CD/Music Player in.

If you have a laptop/headphones, why not practice through that? Lots of free slow downer/looper/bass isolator software available. Search for Best Practice.

12. Definitely

Definitely Banned

How would I?

13. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Heading out tomorrow - only free day this week - so I'm going to try a few out and get one. I think I'm choosing between Ampeg, Fender, and Vox at this point, unless any of the stores have anything that wasn't listed on the interwebz. I'll check in tomorrow.

EDIT: Also found the following items, opinions?
    -Vox Pathfinder 10B
    -Peavey MAX 126 & 158
    -Ashdown Tourbus 10 & 15

14. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    My laptap setup includes external speakers (sub/sats)
    I plug my bass into the microphone input (need adapter 1/4 to 1/8).

Adjust volume as necessary.

I use Best Practice (free download) as a learning tool (slow downer/looper/isolator(freq. & voice) so I can play along with any mp3/wav file.

You can also record yourself with software like Audacity (also free).

I also use http://www.video2mp3.net/index.php for learning purposes. Never had a problem/virus. Rated safe.
    Works well.

15. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I do use Audacity regularly for all my musical endeavors, but always through my amp first, does it work straight bass > laptop?

16. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Yep.

Some TB links on the topic.

Best thing to do is try it.

17. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Huh, I'll have to check that out. I'd still like a small amp for practicality, and since it's my grandparents they'll inevitably want a performance :) so I'm already doubting the amPlug a bit, although it does look really cool...

18. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    If you have external speakers + sub for your laptop, it'll be loud enough for them to hear.

19. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I don't.

20. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I practice unplugged all the time. Try it. If it works, feel free to send me the $100. ;)