Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a song....suggestions?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Chip, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    ok im doing year 12 group muisc, we gotta show a range of styles, and we need a good blues song

it doesnt have to be 12 bar
    it has to have vocals
    and it has to have fairly complex bass + drums (or easy to solo over)

i dont really just wanna do a generic 12 bar blues as we wont get as good of a score, maybe something with an awesome riff :)

thanx for any help

2. you want a blues song that's not the trite formula? i've got the perfect song for you:

The House of the Rising Sun.

very recognizable, has a lot of impact, and the minor key sets it apart.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Check out Stormy Monday....I dig the Allman Bros version. It has a couple cool changes. Whenever I play it with people that don't know it they get lost....even though it's the blues.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

"Stormy Monday" is an excellent suggestion. Babadingding was right on with that suggestion. Other Allman songs are worth consideration too. "In Praise of Elisabeth Reed", "Whipping Post", "Come On in My Kitchen."

Another point here is that these songs are not original with the Allmans, but instead are classic blues songs that you can play any way you feel fit.
    An example..."Come On in My Kitchen" is a Robert Johnson classic. I once saw the Allmans in concert start this out as an acoustic number holding closely to Johnson's original, then they switched to electric one by one and jammed like crazy on the same song. I never forgot their rendition, it had such impact on me.

But the blues tradition is full of numbers that don't hold to a strict twelve bar blues format. Or, even if they do, they are complex enough that they are not monotonous. Check Stevie Ray Vaughan's work, for example. I highly reccommend "Riviera Paradise" which comes as close as jazz as SRV ever did. It is a twelve bar blues, but every go-around of the twelve bars is different, as is Shannon's bassline.

Another one to check is BB King's work. Or Albert King's minor blues, "If Trouble Was Money (I'd Be a Millionaire.") I once saw Ronnie Earle play that song with Junior Wells in concert. It was magnificent. I actually cried. You can find the Collins version on "Collins Mix: The Best of Albert Collins."

Or check out a CD by Ronnie Earle; some of his blues are quite complex. Another source worth checking out is Jimi Hendrix. He has an album called "Jimi Hendrix Blues." Most of those songs are classics. Check "Red House," "Born Under a Bad Sign", "Voodoo Chile Blues, "mannish Boy" and "Hear My Train a Comin' ".

Good luck with your concert and let us know what song you choose and how the concert went.

5. Boplicity

Dang! I'm just getting started! I forgot to mention Cream. Definitely check out "Crossroads, " "Spoonful," and "Born Under a Bad Sign." Jack Bruce is a killer bassist. These songs are on the CD "Strange Brew."

I can't seem to find my Robbin Ford albums. If you can get a hold of a Robbin Ford and the Blue Line CDs, you will discover more "jazzified" blues.

You might want to check Gary Moore, too. Also check out Eric Clapton's 2- disc album "Eric Clapton Blues." Listen to these blues classics, "Further on Up the Road" (also check the BB King/Bobby blue Bland version), "Worried Life Blues", "Mean Old World," "CrossRoads", "The Shy is Crying" (also check SRV's version), and "have You Ever Loved a Woman."

One last song..."Sweet Home Chicago". This has been covered by nearly every blues band from Paul Butterfield to the Blues Brothers and every one in between. You can really go to town on this one...make it really complex. This song was born to be a jam song.

6. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    wow thanks for that
    and its not really a concert its a music exam (group music that is)
    we gotta show a range of styles, among other things of course

i think our drummer is a bit to crazy though
    sometimes goes on drums rolls that go for too long :p

7. Boplicity

:D :D :D

Drum rolls aren't exactly a technique frequently heard in blues music. Best of luck with the song your group chooses...and no drum rolls, please.:D

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How about "Money" from Pink Floyd? It's in 5/4 and it's very much a blues.