Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a song to an examination

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by loui, Oct 5, 2000.

1. loui

loui

Sep 10, 2000
    hi

I want to play a fast funky slap-song to my examination for a musicschool. It's quite hard to get in so a need exactly the right song. It will have to show my slapgood technique, some difficult grooves and it must be a little jazzy too. If anybody of you know songs like that please write me.

thanks

2. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS version of "higher ground" is pretty funky! i havent heard the song in a while but im pretty sure he uses slaping in it.

3. If You're up to it, Vicor Wooten's solo on
    "Sinister Minister" has some excellent slap technique.
    BTW,What school are you auditioning for? Did they specifically request a slap solo? They may just want you to play excerpts in different styles, to see how versatile you are.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Moved to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

5. Chuck Rainey's work on PEG from the Steely Dan AJA album would probly fit the bill

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Alain Caron's "Slam The Clown"(from his RHYTHM 'N JAZZ cd)...that will fit ALL your criteria("slap, difficult groove & jazzy").

7. SBX1

SBX1

Apr 7, 2000
    Ok !

If you want do a beautiful examination, try to learn "Country Music (A nignt in hell)" of Stuart Hamm on Album 'Radio Free Albemuth' . The various riffs are great and quite difficult.

Enjoy it! ;)

8. loui

loui

Sep 10, 2000
    It's a danish education called MGK. It's supposed to advance you to the level that is required at the danish music academy in a period of 3 years. It doesn't sound of something difficult but only 10 musicans are chosen each year.
    They do not specially request a slap solo, but I think it would give me a better chance.
    They want me to play 2 very different songs and I have allready chosen a slow jazzstandard which is good for improvising. Then I need a fast slap song to show my technique.

9. loui

loui

Sep 10, 2000
    I must say that I'm really happy for all the suggestions and I didn't expect that many applies.
    But I don't know the songs:
    "Sinister Minister" by Victor Wooten
    "Moved to misc"
    PEG from the Steely Dan AJA album
    "Slam the Clown" by Alain Caron
    "Country Music (A nignt in hell)" of Stuart Hamm

If it's possible I would by really really happy if anybody could e-mail me any of these songs as MP-3 or something else. My adress is lalgren@hotmail.com

Thank you very much

10. maybe i missed something but what school is requesting a slap solo, i find this hard to believe, maybe i am just a ****, when i went to berklee in boston i was in line with about 15 other bass players, i had learned a quick blues piece with some harmonics, (bassicly a ripoff of the song by the police called peanuts) when we were in line a bass player pulled out his bass to warm up before the audition, i watched about ten jaws drop as they all relized they had all purchased the same louis johnson bass video and learned it for their entry to berklee, i got in, the guy who whiped out his bass got in, and about three others, lack of originality, it was a good first sememester, i got to play everything from tina turner to rush

got originality?

[Edited by Big Wheel on 10-09-2000 at 09:06 PM]

11. loui

loui

Sep 10, 2000
    Okay, your're right about it's good to be original but I was told to show my best abilities and I think that must be my slap-tecknique. I have to play 2 songs and the other song that I've already chosen is a blues by NHØP called "The Puzzle".

Do you still think it's stupid ?
    Do you know any songs I could use ?

12. It's a danish education called MGK. It's supposed to advance you to the level that is required at the danish music academy in a period of 3 years. It doesn't sound of something difficult but only 10 musicans are chosen each year.
    They do not specially request a slap solo, but I think it would give me a better chance.
    They want me to play 2 very different songs and I have allready chosen a slow jazzstandard which is good for improvising. Then I need a fast slap song to show my technique. [/B][/QUOTE]

OK, Lou, Maybe you did this already, and Maybe not.anyway, here is another suggestion-The Danish Music Academy Should have a list of required reperetoire for students.
    Why not Check it out, maybe you could pull something off of their list,and impress them by already knowing one of their required pieces. The NH0P tune sounds like a good choice for a slow blues,but try my suggestion and see if you come up with anything. Best of Luck, man!

13. i have no suggestions for a fast slap tune
    do you have time to create something?
    best of luck