Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a song

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kas_su, Feb 17, 2006.

1. kas_su

kas_su

Nov 20, 2005
    I am a beginner bassist, who just started a band, and I was wondering, if any of you could help us find an easy song to start with, that is playable on both guitarr and bass. We prefer metal and rock. Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. More punkish but you can't go wrong with Blitzkrieg Bop.

3. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    I made a thread about this some time ago, if you'd like to start with a song make sure it's a tune you like and is easy to learn, I know my bass tabs for my Another Monday For The Kids song of by heart thats probs as I spent 4 hours rehearsing with a mate :)

4. yitsi80

yitsi80

Feb 8, 2006
    I have found that most CCR songs are relatively easy. I started out with bad moon on the rise.

5. +1! Fo sho! also known to my band as Old Faithful haha.:smug:

6. I remember Rock and Roll by Led Zep was fairly easy for me to learn at 14,My guitar playing buddy learned the guitar parts fairly easy.Our drummer allready had the beat down though.Geeez that was like 15 years ago!!:eek:

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Don't know about metal but here's some rock. You can always metallize them.

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple

Louie Louie - the Kingsmen

Wild Thing - the Troggs

Takin' Care of Business - Bachman Turner Overdrive

Rock Candy - Montrose

Calling Dr. Love - KISS

Slow Ride - Foghat

Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC

Mississippi Queen - Mountain

Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' - Journey

Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh

Tush - ZZ Top

This is a damned cool set if you ask me.

:D

Joe.

8. kas_su

kas_su

Nov 20, 2005
    thanks i'll check theme out

9. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Anything by nirvana except maybe lounge act or mr moustache which will be a bit hard for your bassist if hes just starting (they're fast and tricky), but you can do songs like Paulie or Sliver, its good training for beginners ;)

10. Harps

Harps

Feb 22, 2006
    Do hate to say i told you so by the hives
    it was my bands 1st song, its easy and has a bass solo.

11. ghizmo

ghizmo

Feb 21, 2006
    something by ACDC they are fairly simple but you learn a lot about timing!
    let's get some like sex pistols, insense punk but very very easy to play!
    morf says great, nirvana rocks and they are non tricky at all
    ore something by offspring
    or dream theater.....no...no....maybe not :p

12. I'd pretty much go with all ramones stuff... california sun, blizkrieg bop, i wanna be sedated....... they're all easy to play, enjoyed by everyone, fun to play.

if you have any trouble on the fingering cuz sometimes it's a little fast for a beginner, get yourself a DAVA CONTROL pick, by david stoney. Also i sugest some misfits - Attitude and die die die my darling.

ZZTop la grange is fairly simple too... i guess it become complicated on the guitar solo but hey!

13. american idiot- green day
    Very easy song, first green day song i learnt.

14. joe ryan

joe ryan

Feb 25, 2006
    i'm just starting out on the bass, a couple months into it. i have played classical with wind instruments for many years. this is my first time with strings.

green day songs are easy and fun to play. "holiday" is a good one to start with.

the cars - 'just what i needed" is also pretty easy. i like it to practice with because it mostly has the same notes, but played differently at different times so i can get better with feeling the strings.

bush-"comedown" is another one i use to practice with. i almost have my finger speed to the point where i can play it at full tempo.

alice in chains-"rooster" is pretty easy, too.

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    PF - Money, Hey you

Queen - AOBTD, Under Pressure

Led Zep - Dazed and Confused, Ramble On

Black Sabbath - NIB, War pigs.

That should keep you occupied. :bassist: