Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a strap!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mazinger, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Anyone know where I can buy a 2-1/2"-3" leather strap that doesn't have the adjusting buckle.

I'm looking for the type that has several holes on each end then you cut the strap to the desired length. No one seems to sell these anymore.

Thanks!

2. Why dont u want the one with the buckle? I am occasionally adjusting my bass height, its very handy to have the buckle.

:D:D

Merls

3. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Just out of habit I guess. I've been playing for years with this kind of strap and they're getting old.
    It's silver eagle brand and I don't think the company is in business anymore.

I did order a fender bass strap and another one (can't remember what it it right now). I'm hoping these will work out.

As far as adjustment, I never adjust my bass height. I've found a height that works for me and have been using it ever since.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I know you're looking for a strap without the buckle(I have one for my guitar), but I would suggest either the Planet Waves 74T0000 or the the Fender Bass Neoprene strap. Both straps are 3 inches wide, better weight distribution. When I first tried the Fender strap, I thought I had put on an acoustic 6 string and not my bass!

Either way, you really want to go the 3" route.

5. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I definately would prefer a 3".

I just recently ordered a fender neoprene bass strap and a neotech super bass strap.

I think these will work out fine.

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    You'll love that Neoprene strap...I got one for both of my basses!!!

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Isn't the Fender Neoprene strap very short? I can't use it; the top contour of the bass is too close to my chin! :eek:

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Well, the padding will cover your shoulder and across some of your shoulder blade...it works enough for me! What kind of bass are you playing?

9. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    A Fender Jazz.

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Man, this strap is especially made for the Jazz and P basses...should suit you just fine!

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Go to a leather shop and buy a piece of leather from them and just make your own. You can get a much better, thicker piece of leather from a leather shop and you will end up with a much better strap.
    I did this many years ago and I got my leather from Tandy Leather.

12. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I got my straps today.

I ordered a fender neoprene bass strap and a neotech super bass strap.

Guess what? These two are exactly the same (same manufacturer)with the exception of the logos.

Oh yeah...the fender one cost $10 more too.
    I guess that's for the fender name.

I couldn't tell from the pictures that these were the same strap...oh well.

I can't wait to try them!

So if you're thinking of buying the fender one, just skip it and buy the neotech version.

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Man, wish I knew about the Neotech thing...if you look it up on the Fender Bass Street site, they make it look like they developed and manufactured it themselves!!! I'd return the Fender one unless you have more than one bass.

14. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I've been looking into replacing the crappy strap I've been using since I started playing. The neotech sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Where did you order yours from? And how long is it?

Thanks.

15. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I got it at musiciansfriend.com. I didn't really shop around. It was 19.99.

It's actually comfortable and I'm very happy with it.

It's 45 inches long. Here's a picture.

I wouldn't recommend this for some who's very tall and likes to have the bass hang low. On my p-bass with the strap all the way out, it hangs right at my stomach area. The lowest part is right above the top of my thighs. I'm only 5'6" tall.

16. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I did a search at Musician's Friend for "neotech" and found they have another strap called the Super Ax. It looks like the same strap as the Super Bass strap, but six inches longer. I think I'll try the longer one. I measured how long I have my strap now, and it's right at 45", so it would be nice to have a little leeway in case I ever need it.

Here are links to the Super Bass and the Super Ax:

Super Bass
    Super Ax

Thanks for the help!

17. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I saw the Super Ax. The only thing that worried me about it was the adjustable strap on the front.

It's made for a guitar, so with a bass (where the front strap hook/button is higher) I was concerned
    about the skinnypart of the strap and buckle being too high up on my shoulder - like those DiMarzio straps with the release buckles.

18. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm....good point. I wish one of the stores around here had these straps so I could try them out.

19. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I just got a DiMarzio clip-lock yesterday. I play pretty low and this is the only strap I could find that goes as low as I want. I don't have the problem of the skinny part with the buckle being anywhere near my shoulder. So all is well for me.

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Does anyone know of any places that make custom leather straps?? Nothing studded or with funky conchos or stupid stuff, I am just looking to get a black leather strap with my initials and maybe some minor design on it.