Need a string that has a crunchy , agressive tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by walkinglines30, Jun 8, 2004.

1. walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    I have a Fender Jazz Bass, and im really want strings that produce a crunchy tone. What type of strin will help me acheive it? flats , rounds thanks
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Roundwounds most definitely.... Ernie Ball Slinkies seem crunchy on my Spector, but that could just be the Spector.

3. I suggest the Thomastik-Infeld Strings.

The Power Bass Series.

* High ferrous content for hotter signal.
    * These string deliver a higher signal-to-noise ratio than any
    other string I have used.
    * They have a flexible hex core that is wound with steel inner
    winding and a nickel-plated steel outer winding.
    * They communicate a full, well-rounded bass with, nice
    throaty mids and solid but not to brittle highs and are
    balanced across the frequency spectrum.

Power Bass

Click on the link in my signature line and tell me if you like the tone on Dream Within A Dream........I used these strings on my Sadowsky V5........JF344's on Back For More

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Definitely roundwounds. And IME, stainless steel rounds sound crunchier than nickel. Depends on one's definition of "crunch", I suppose.
  5. As usual Treena is on the money.
    I have a Lakland Joe Osborn USA Jazz Bass with TI Power bass. Although they feel a little Slinky to me at times they growl like a snarling dog. Ah-Ooooooooh Werewolves of London. They last a good long time too. I also like DR's. I've used the Sunbeams and they sound real nice too. My Joe is a great sounding bass with the Lindy Fralins on it.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yup! Stainless = Crunch to my ears (though Treena's tone is godly on "Dream within a Dream")
  7. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I dare say the Ritter Swordsteel strings would do the trick as well, but don't quote me on that just yet... I should be getting my set in about a week's time :D I actually dropped Jens an email about it and he made me a deal I couldn't resist...
    Review soon!!
  8. Thanks speddling.........BTW, your CD is on it's way also. I had to get more printed since the post on TB.

One thing everyone should remember........ strings can only do so much for tone, the rest is in your fingers/pick,amplification and EQ'ing you use. The studio tones are also easier to get when you're using thousands of dollars worth of equipment, so don't expect your string choice to be the only thing to help you define tone! Look at all your options and use them to your advantage!

9. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    Rotosound swing bass (stainless) 45-105....deep growl
  10. Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    Fender Super Bass 8250M NPS, p/n 073-8250-006,
    Gauges: .045, .065, .085, .110TW (Taperwound E)

These came on my Fender Deluxe Zone bass...a little to much growl for me..might be what you want.
  11. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    D'Addario Prisms

Super Bright round wounds

i use 110 105 85 65 on my 4 string, i like the sound, its a bit harsh at first with them though, takes some EQ tweakin till ya break them in.
  12. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs

13. NEVER!

He pwns.
  14. Labella Hard Rockin Steels..lots of pros use em..i have em on my bass and they are just that
  15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The inventors of the roundwound bass string. Rotosound!
    A legendary string, tried and true. Rotosound players are a
    "who's who" in the pantheon of bass giants....'nuff said.

16. i don't know about crunchy, but Ernie Ball power slinkies have this EDGE that drives the amp. for some reason, heavy guages push the passive electonics to push the amp a little bit more. its a very sold and defined heavy sound. try it
  17. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I play an MIA fender jazz, and I'm using DR low riders. These strings do exactly what I want, when I want. As for the growl though, be less concerned about strings and more concerned with the attack on the strings. Turn the neck pickup volume down to about 80% also. That would help.
  18. DR Low Riders. Rotosounds as well. Stainless steel is known for brightness and crunch.
  19. Ernie Ball Slinkys. I played TI Powerbass for a year and a half and went back to the Ernies. For my basses and the way I play, they just have the sound. Very forceful, aggressive, and, yes, crunchy. Chewy on the inside, though. :bag: