Need a string with growl, mellow, and little finger noise... what is it?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bino, Oct 20, 2004.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Recently bought an active P/J Fender. The 10 year old roundwounds on there thumped great and were definitely mellow (E string almost sounded muted), but this being my first bass with a J pickup I wanted to bring out the growly tones. I put on a used set of D'addario XL's, and though they add more growl, I just don't like the clanky tones and outrageous finger noise. I've been a Pbass/TI flats user, so I realise some noise is too be expected. Any suggestions on a growly, deep fundamental, low finger-noise string (either rounds or flats)? Right now I'm considering LoRiders, Labella tapewounds, or Sadowsky Flats.
  2. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Ken Smith Slick Wounds.

You get a nice mix of the round wound growl with the smooth feel (less finger noise) of flats.
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I like Lowriders but they are a little bright at first so you would have finger noise but you could always roll off the highs on your bass or head with any string untill the break in.
  4. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Thanks for the suggestions. I should say that the clanky and piano like tones on the XL's bother me more than the finger noise. Not quite sure how to control them. Never heard much about Ken Smith strings.
  5. Technique! :bassist:

...sorry for being so rude, but I think that the clankyness and fingernoise is to be expected with roundwounds. If you've been playing dead flats for years, your technique might not be 'adjusted' to roundwounds, so give it some time. Or stay with flats. I've heard that the TI's should be plenty growly?
  6. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    can't argue with the technique comment. maybe I'll try switching the TI's over to this new bass and see how growly they are.
  7. Sounds like the thing to do...
    You could also try out some of the ½-rounds, groundwounds types. Roundwounds strings where the outer wrap has been grounded so the string has a flatwound feel and roundwound sound. (think that's what the Ken Smith strings mentioned earlier is supposed to do too)
  8. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I recently switched from nickle low riders to D'addario 1/2 rounds. My bass is very bright and the DR's were a little to bright for me although overall the sound was very good. The 1/2 rounds definitely mellow the highs out while still being punchy and growly.

I tried the TI's and while they are great strings they lack some of the punch and growl of rounds.

I'm looking forward to trying the nickel 1/2 rounds when they come out.
  9. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    using newtones, great growl, just love having my jazz pickup on full and playing it
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been quite happy with the tone out of Rotosound 66's, and if you feel like spending a bit more money (and assembling the grommet end of the string yourself) look at Rotosound 99's.
  11. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    What's the tension like on those medium slickwounds? If they average/typical I think I may give them a shot.