Need a suggestion on new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DaS HaaS, Mar 16, 2004.

1. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    Endorsing Artist - Ampeg, Ernie Ball
    I am in need of some new strings because my Elixirs seem to be losing theit tone. I liked the Elixirs because they maintained a good tone over time, but I cannot afford a new set because I just bought a house :crying: Any suggestions on a affordable pair of strings that have a nice bright tone and will last a while.
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    do a search for your answer by using the search function......... :oops:

and welcome to TB :)
  3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ken Smith strings are very good strings and are rather cheap for the quality of the string. I can get Ken Smith Strings for right around $20 a set. Ernie Ball are also very good cheap strings.
  4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I've been pretty happy with DR strings and the Hi-Beams aren't to hard on the ol' wallet. Also I think that GHS boomers are a pretty good value as well.
  5. I have a very slightly used set of Elixir Nanowebs that you can have for $15.00 shipped.
  6. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    The search function on this site sucks
  7. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    I need 5 strings. GHS are ok, but loose their tone fast.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to thump my chest by any means.....but I've been trying to play this instrument decently since 1967 and DR's are easily the bone-tone strings I was always after. You just have to decide which model you want. For starters, I would highly recommend the Lo-Riders. If you need something with more mids, the "Marcus" are wonderful strings. If you need something hard and edgy, the "Hi Beams" rock out like crazy.

Rotosound makes some great strings, too, like the Swing 66's.

Caveat - I haven't tried Thomastik's because they don't fit the scale length on my basses, nor Pyramids because I don't want to pay for the gold they use on their strings.
  9. I tried these new brand from Britain called Elites. They are great strings. They have a great smooth feel for roundwounds and pure tone for a reasonable price. Gotta have em shipped in though they dont sell in the states. Worth the trouble though.
  10. HiBeams and Rotosounds are my two favorites. They aren't the easiest on your wallet (not unreasonable, but they certainly aren't economy strings), however they last so long it doesn't matter how much you pay for them up front. Not sure how they rank up with elixirs as far as longevity goes, but I will say HiBeams in particular stay fresh and bright for soooo long.

I would check them both out.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  12. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    try the Dean Markley blasters - 2 sets for 19.99 and they are good nickel strings.