1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a Versatile Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by glasser_cannon, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Trying to find something that sounds great in the mix with my band. I've been testing the EHX Nano Bass Big Muff and like it, but it doesn't blend well and the fuzz could be better. Ideally I want something with a controllable clean blend so that I can adjust it based on the venue and a fuzz that sounds more like the Green Russian Muff. Only pedal I've found so far that sounds like a Muff with a clean blend is the COG Effects Grand Tarkin, but I don't wanna spend that much money if I can find something that sounds just as good for less. Any ideas?

2. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    COG Gran Tarkin

Mosfed, blindrabbit and Noylin like this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Big Game Pedals EAND. No blend though.
    You also have the Smallsound/Bigsound TAFM. No Muff but a great fuzz with blend knob and cheaper than COG.

blindrabbit likes this.
  4. You'll find other pedals that sound good and do the job - I like the TAFM recommendation even though it isn't a muff, as it is super flexible and has that blend - but if you want something that sounds AS GOOD as the Tarkin...well, you just have to get the Tarkin. It's that good.

Ikkir likes this.
  5. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You have also Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie that has a blend knob. It's a muff but not based in the Green Russian.

irongutsshawn and blindrabbit like this.
  6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    If a smaller company makes a "muff," they will most likely add a clean blend for you.

Andy westwood, spanndrew, PWV and 6 others like this.
  7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    And, of course, Grey Stache with a special blend mod. :)

bassbrad, vegas532, kbakerde and 3 others like this.
  8. There are W&C TFRs out there with blends, plus you can just order one with a blend straight from Matt as well. That's not a bad idea for someone who thinks a Tarkin is too much.

Coughdrops, Rayjay and Nunovsky like this.
  9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The blend was out of phase on the one I ordered when they first came out, which made it about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Buzz E likes this.
  10. The TFR I owned didn't have a blend, and I thought it sounded awesome. I hope the OP isn't thinking that all muffs are like the EHX Nano BBM, because that would be a big bad assumption to make. There are all sorts of awesome muffs out there without blends that work just fine in a live mix, the blendless TFR amongst them.

Rayjay likes this.
  11. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    You should give the Earthquaker's Devices Hoof a try. It's definitely in the green Muff family and although it hasn't got a blend, it appears to me that the clean signal just comes through well enough that you'd believe that there's some fixed amount of blend done internally.

blindrabbit and Planespotter like this.
  12. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    I use a fuzzrocious grey stache and I don't think a clean blend is imperative to a good muff sound in a band... but you'll want to play around with the tone and sustain. I run the tone higher in a band and the sustain lower than I would for just a bedroom sound. You'll retain better note definition at lower gain/sustain settings. I like letting the guitars handle the more saturated fuzz sounds in the spectrum.

13. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    blindrabbit likes this.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You don't need a blend on a Muff, you just need a good Muff and an EHX is not that. If a Muff sounded better with a blend, they would make them with a blend.

Grey Stache, MojoHand Colossus, JHS Mufuletta (JHS is the most versatile muff on the planet), Hoof, Stomp Under Foot, Vick Black Russian, Tall Font Russian, any of them would be much better than EHX.

15. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name.. Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Fwiw - I am a big fan of blend knobs. Most pedals on my boards have them. However, I don't have a blend on my TFR and have never missed it. It's killer with tons of low end.

blindrabbit likes this.
  16. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    Basically what's been said here, for actually sitting really well in the mix a being a nice fuzz little I've tried beats the tarkin, however I also have a grey stache, without a clean blend as honestly with my rig it doesn't need it same with my pumpkin Pi from green carrot no need for a blend with my set up, and the green carrot smashes it's way through a mix.

Andy

17. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    brumebat and blindrabbit like this.
  18. tony levin approves

Winoman, Joebone and Rayjay like this.