1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a wall of low end

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeviantBoogieDown, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DeviantBoogieDown

DeviantBoogieDown

May 27, 2018
    I'm currently using an early 90's mesa 215 diesel cab. I have a Vintage peavy 400 and an Ampeg B2r head. I like both but will probably need more power.

Looking for a very loud low end cab. I play in a bass heavy synth punk band with no guitar. I play through a Rat pedal. The Peavey head and 215 are great, but I want something bigger for the stage with more low end.

Any suggestions on a cab would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards the Mesa 400 head

faulknersj and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    I like the bergantino stuff. A mesa powerhouse 1000 would probably be sweet if you have a car that can move it. 4 x 10s and a 15.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Welcome to T.B. I've always had better luck going with more speakers than more power. Your Peavey already has 400 watts and the B2R is 350 if I recall correctly. A good 4 10 would help more than another amp with the same power you already have. The older Ampeg 4 10 hlf's are very low end oriented. The newer ones , not so much.

iriegnome likes this.
  4. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    get another of the Mesa cabs and the 400+
    If that isn’t enough, then you’re doing it wrong

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    2x2x15 vertical stack, HPF and 400. :thumbsup:

smogg, -Asdfgh- and MDBass like this.
  6. DeviantBoogieDown

DeviantBoogieDown

May 27, 2018
    Thanks everyone. The 215's are really punchy and cut through anything. But I'm Interested in more low end and also the aesthetic of the 215 and 810 on stage

7. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Hang out w/ @SVT Bob

More than anyone else on the planet, he has the “wall of sound” thing down pat.

8. How low and how wall? Are you talking like full synth sub-bass?

9. DeviantBoogieDown

DeviantBoogieDown

May 27, 2018
    No just more lows than the Mesa 2x15 I didn't realize it's designed for mid range frequencies until after I bought it. Thinking of the 810HLF, Mesa 215 with Mesa 400 head

10. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    The Ampeg Heritage model 410 HLF cab is the deepest sounding cab I've ever used. I played an active five string Spector and it handled the lows very well at moderate power levels. If I was going to play dub or push the lows, that's the cab I'd pick as far as a regular production cab goes.

slugger and Rich Fiscus like this.
  11. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    If either of your heads will run at 2 ohms, I'd do 2x15s and 2x18s (or 2x15 subs).

I say meh on the 8x10 for ultra-low end. They're usually designed to be more punchy than low.

You can find 18" subs for cheap everywhere since nobody wants to lug them around anymore.

Or you can buy or build a pair of Greenboy 1x15 subs. They will get you down there.

18s.

12. Chances are pretty good that you’re losing a good bit of low end punch through the rat unless you’re blending in some clean signal. Changing cabinets won’t restore anything being taken out up front, and distorting low frequencies is a sure recipe for mud.

Counterintuitively, using a high pass filter can help your low end sound bigger and tighter. Pushing a ton of fundamental not only takes a lot of energy to reproduce, but you’re going to be fighting for room in frequencies that fill up quickly. Carving out some space can help tremendously.

When in doubt, add more speakers before you add more power. It’s all about moving air.

13. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Yeah, I think you need a low end voiced ported stout cab or pair of cabs. Something like the ampeg 410 hlf, genz benz XB, or something more boutique that's designed for low end. A couple HLFs to use with a 2 ohm amp (or stereo power amp, etc...) should give you some pretty serious volume and low end for like $800-1000 or so.

DeviantBoogieDown likes this.
  14. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    i love my rat because it backs a bit of bass off temporarily until I click it off for full bass.

-Get a blend pedal or a rat clone with blend built in.

-HPF

-fearful/fearless cab

15. Ric5

Ric5 SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    add a powered sub to your existing amp

DeviantBoogieDown and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    powered sub. QSC KW181 or even better a cardioid sub. High pass it @40Hz and rock the house. I've burned up bass cabinets using synth bass. Different animal. Easy to flip later, easier than a monster bass cab that is huge and heavy too lug around. good luck.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, if you want a wall of extreme and loud low end, get a couple older SVT 410hlf's.

18. DeviantBoogieDown

DeviantBoogieDown

May 27, 2018
    Thanks for all the input. I think I'll try the high pass filter, a powered sub and and 410hlf.

I'll let you guys know how it works out!!

Thanks

Pbassmanca and pudgychef like this.
  19. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Am I correct that Acme cabs are supposed to go deep?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes, they are renown for accurately reproducing the full spectrum top-to-bottom...but with a few trade-offs. They are notoriously power-hungry and somewhat inefficient (SPF 94 maybe?).

Riis

mikewalker, Pbassmanca and pudgychef like this.