1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a way to read "docx" files on the cheap

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Deluge Of Sound, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    So I'm doing some work right now for a company as a creative consultant, and right now my client just sent me all the information I need to proofread/tighten up/etc. in docx format. :scowl:

I don't have the newest version of Word (I'm an open-office guy), and I don't have the finances to go out and buy it, so I've got to come to OT to see if anyone has any ideas.

2. I'm not familiar with the format myself, but I would go to either google or download.com and search for a "docx" reader, and you should be able to find something. There's lots of freeware out there that you might be able to make use of.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    First thing I'd try is changing the file extension to .doc and see if it opens!

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    In the process of doing this, just didn't know if anyone here would be all "you need this. get it here"

tried that, no dice.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm. How many of these files do you have?

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Problem solved! Thank you, whoever conceived of the free trial version!

EDIT:
    And curse the swine that decided to not make them work properly!

7. Haha, sorry. :(

I was just lazy and that was the thing I could think of. :p

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    It's not really a matter of that... If I'd known they were going to use DocX I would've said something about it, as it is I'll just grit my teeth and deal with it, 'cause its something I'm sure I'll run into more often.

As for number, I'm looking at five different documents today, with a handful more on the horizon for next week.

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Docx is Word 2007. There is a file converter avaialble free from Microsoft. It will convert it to a Doc.

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    American Hero! You sir have single-handedly saved my skin and ensured that next week I will be able to eat. Thank you sir, could I get a link?

11. Doesnt open office open docx ?

Like the sig Ben :D

12. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I might have a sollution but it aint exactly legal, if you catch my drift...

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Nope, everything is solved...

Essentially, I have to open in in MS Works (which I still have on my computer, luckily), which then prompts windows to convert it so Works can read it, then I copy and paste the text into open office. Slightly time consuming, but hey, I'm on the clock :D