Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a wireless system recommendation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenMoto, Feb 9, 2006.

1. ZenMoto

ZenMoto

Feb 9, 2006
    Motor City USA
    I'm thinking about going wireless and need a recommendation on a brand/model for a unit:bassist: ...I'm on a budget and thinking about snagging something on ebay...Who's using what and does it work well for you ?...Pitfalls ?...Will I loose any audio quality ?

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I played through a low-cost Samson SR-22, (guitar) system for years... In specs, it shouldn't have handled a bass very well, but I never had any problems with signal loss... There was a difference in sound between the system and a cable, but completely un-noticable in a live situation, IMO... Unfortunately, it had some physical issues and has died...

I replaced it with a Shure PGX14 system and am very happy... Good signal, low noise, (the Samson developed a low hum which I was never able to get rid of), plenty of channels reducing the chance of 'collisions'... A good mid-priced solution...

I have tried the AKG 'bug' and had some signal distortion that I couldn't reduce... It was on loan from a buddy, so I can't speak to any mis-use that may have occurred before I tried it... Engough to scare me away from spending money there, even though several folks recommend it, (and it is probably a fine unit)...

Take specs with a grain of salt... According to the spec sheets, neither system above should work well with a five-string, yet I've used both with excellent results... I look at specs as guidlines, my ears as the truth...

-robert

4. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
  5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I recently got a PGX-14, and I am very satisfied with it! I have a 10K sq.ft. warehouse. The day I received my wireless, I hooked it up to my rig, which is usually in my office. I then went out into the warehouse and walked all around it. I could still hear my bass thumping away in the office... it is a strange feeling, but it's still pretty cool, too.

I suggest you check-out Northern Sound & Light if you really want to get a wireless. Compare their prices to anyone else... you will be in for a pleasant surprise... I promise!

http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/salesframe.html

Forgot to mention... I have both a 4-string and a 5-string. The PGX-14 handles the Low B without any trouble... Also, I went to NS&L on the recommendation of 'Munjibunga'... I gotta give credit where credit is due... :D