1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a wireless system recommendation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenMoto, Feb 9, 2006.

1. ZenMoto

ZenMoto

Feb 9, 2006
    Motor City USA
    I'm thinking about going wireless and need a recommendation on a brand/model for a unit:bassist: ...I'm on a budget and thinking about snagging something on ebay...Who's using what and does it work well for you ?...Pitfalls ?...Will I loose any audio quality ?

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I played through a low-cost Samson SR-22, (guitar) system for years... In specs, it shouldn't have handled a bass very well, but I never had any problems with signal loss... There was a difference in sound between the system and a cable, but completely un-noticable in a live situation, IMO... Unfortunately, it had some physical issues and has died...

I replaced it with a Shure PGX14 system and am very happy... Good signal, low noise, (the Samson developed a low hum which I was never able to get rid of), plenty of channels reducing the chance of 'collisions'... A good mid-priced solution...

I have tried the AKG 'bug' and had some signal distortion that I couldn't reduce... It was on loan from a buddy, so I can't speak to any mis-use that may have occurred before I tried it... Engough to scare me away from spending money there, even though several folks recommend it, (and it is probably a fine unit)...

Take specs with a grain of salt... According to the spec sheets, neither system above should work well with a five-string, yet I've used both with excellent results... I look at specs as guidlines, my ears as the truth...

-robert

4. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
  5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I recently got a PGX-14, and I am very satisfied with it! I have a 10K sq.ft. warehouse. The day I received my wireless, I hooked it up to my rig, which is usually in my office. I then went out into the warehouse and walked all around it. I could still hear my bass thumping away in the office... it is a strange feeling, but it's still pretty cool, too.

I suggest you check-out Northern Sound & Light if you really want to get a wireless. Compare their prices to anyone else... you will be in for a pleasant surprise... I promise!

http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/salesframe.html

Forgot to mention... I have both a 4-string and a 5-string. The PGX-14 handles the Low B without any trouble... Also, I went to NS&L on the recommendation of 'Munjibunga'... I gotta give credit where credit is due... :D