Need a "woody" 5 string for $1000-$1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sethlow3, Mar 24, 2004.

1. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I'm looking for a 5 string to contrast with my zon. Something totally different.

More specifically, something WITHOUT bart pups, with a 34" scale, no heavier than 10 pounds, a wooden neck, and something around $1000-$1500. Oh and of course a decent B. I've currently got my eye on Yamaha BBEast, Lull, and Carvin.

Anything else with similar looks are what I am looking for in looks and body style. You know somthing simple, none of that Ken smith, 18 piece neck, coffee table looking stuff. YUCH!! IMHO......
  2. Look no further than a StingRay 5.
  3. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    A woody tone is very difficult to define. However, I've had very good luck with the bass I got from It's a wenge/flamed maple neck with an ash body and a maple burl top. Ash gives a very nice growly tone, the maple burl brightens things up a bit, and the neck gives a very tight, defined sound. It has passive barts, but you can get whatever you want if you go to a luthier. I prefer the sound of passives... nicer, warmer mids but with less low bass and high treble. To complement my current bass, I'll probably get an active next.

Overall, the bass has a warm but tight sound... deep, but not muddy. It's very defined and crisp sounding, but not harsh and clanky. It's growly, but not so much so as bubinga. The bass also has an oil finish, which is important for resonance. If possible, go for an oil or french rub type of a finish; they're much less invasive and dampening than the super thick glossy finishes you find on many guitars, a la PRS/Gibson. If you do like a glossy finish, go for a very thin nitrocellulose finish if possible. Just keep in mind that the finishes I listed aren't very durable. If you want to toss this thing around, you might want to consider a thick polyurethane finish. Otherwise though, go for thin.
  4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    woody- thumb bolt on 5.... no questions asked...
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    When I think "woody sound" the bass that comes to mind is Warwick. I secong BustinJustins recommendation. I think the Thumb bass is the best Warwick.
  6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    also a great suggestion! but will it fall into the price range?
  7. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Never played an Rob Allen fretted.
    A fretted is what I am interested in! Also CBB's have that coffee table look I was talking about. Warwick's are like 15-20lbs. I owned one and hated it for multiple reasons!

Keep em' coming folks.......
  8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
  9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    How 'bout a Turner Electroline? They can sometimes be found used in the that price range (especially the oil-finished ones), and pretty much meet your criteria except that they have a 35" scale.

10. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    What about a warwick corvette pro-line? Very nice basses and being sold cheap (and in your price range) because they're being liquidated. I'm considering one myself, but having trouble convincing myself to part with the money ;)
  11. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    i'd have to 2nd this motion ...
  12. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee

Oh man, What a doozy! I had a problem with Mr.Turner and I went crazy and traded away the two turners I had for a cab and a Zon fretted.

Turners are great ,but I had some beef with the electroline. I found it to be a bit uncomfortable in the higher positions. It sounded good, but felt very funny. I took it to my tech and he said that neck was warped. This was only a couple of days after a brand new purchase!

I sent it back and Rick said my tech was lying to me. My tech has been great to me for years and I don't think he would lie, plus he has worked on many turners before. So I used that money for things I needed instead. What an ordeal! It took me months to get the money back from the store!

I have comtemplated giving him another try though. I also wouldn't mind something that is a 35" so long as its comfortable.
  13. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee

usually too heavy and NOT versitile or WOODY IMHO.
  14. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    sorry to hear about the neck on your Turner -

rick's sound is just so big and organic and round that there's nothing quite like his stuff in my book --

i have his Model 1 (featherweight) bass that's western cedar core, indian rosewood cap and back and impregnated indian fingerboard with a spanish cedar neck and rotating bucker that cuts to single, piezo and multi EQ that just totally kicks butts in the BIG sound department

as Mike said, you might be able to snag a used Electroline for the low end of that price range - i think Dude (Steve Barr) may have one for sale now - not sure if it's still around --
  15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    you can find plane jane (HA!) Rob Allens for a fair price.

but, yes, fretteds are hard to find.

16. Ive got a schecter elite 5 which is really nice and is way under 1000 but plays just as good.
  17. FBB Custom with Nordstrand pups or same bass with a jack read piezo wooden bridge...or a combination of both!!
  18. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    Man one word "thumb"