1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need abit of help with my bass rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Punk player21, May 10, 2011.

1. Punk player21

Punk player21

May 9, 2011
    Austin MN
    Hey guys, I just bought a very large loud and powerful bass rig.. GK cabs (2 4x10 and 1 8x10) with a 1000 watt ampeg head. Now I get amazing tone and push about 1100 watts... But I have a problem with my rig being to much for the gigs I'm playing at the moment... Any tips? Also, I'm running a digi tech bass modeling pedal with about 80 effects in it bug can't get it to amplify as good as I want/need.

2. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    Take less cabs to the gig?
    I don't understand the problem... No law says you have to use all 1100 of those watts.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It may be fun to have all those speakers and power, but it's entirely unnecessary for 99.9999999 percent of all gigs. Take a 410 with you.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

Sell 8 of those 16 10's and turn down. All that power and volume isn't going to do anything but interfere with the PA and muck up the sound. Actually make it sound worse out in the audience.

5. Wow. It won't be mucking up the PA sound as it won't be in the PA at all unless it's a massive gig. A 16 x 10 wall will be beaming like a kid with an icecream though. Meaning only the people in line with the front of the rig get to hear the bass as intended. The rest get pillow bass.

Now if you sold that killer rig and bought a killer PA....but I get in trouble for posting advice that nobody wants to hear.

Take 1 cab.

As far as effects go, the multi digital effects seem to be a bit harsh on the distortion. Get some more advice on the effects forum.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Give me one of your cabs. Problem solved.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Or just turn it down. ;)

8. TaylorO'

TaylorO' Banned

Dec 13, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Ditch the goofy effects. Take less cabs. turn down. duh.

Problem solved.

Or play bigger "gigs".

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    With that much stage volume the lows from the bass rig will be causing phase/cancellations in the lows coming from the PA. If there is no bass in the PA and the rig is carrying the room, your volume limit is the point where start burying the kick drum...still no need for all those cabs.

Big +1 on the beaming problems when your sound source is a 4ft. square.

10. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    IMO for a show you need no more than a 410 cab with a head that can push a few hundred watts, Then PA..mmm..just buy some fake cabs for show instead, much cheaper.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If it's just your tone you're not happy with, ditch the multi effects unit. Those usually sound great at home or for recording, but sound like absolute crap in a live setting.

12. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    is this for real? who doesn't know to use some lesser combination of gear than all of those cabs. It's not like they're glued together.

13. Are you asking how to get more headroom at gigs without taking too much equipment? I'm confused.

14. My thoughts exactly.

15. tbirddad

tbirddad

Feb 22, 2006
    Buy a roadie to carry all that poundage.

Better yet, turn down so that you have enough oooomph (technical term, sorry) for the stage, but let the PA do the hard work.

16. +1 on a single 410@half volume, and I've had one of those DigiTech modelers - they do modulation effects sorta-OK as long as you don't try to stack too many individual settings on top of each other; the distortions they produce, IMHO, are crap.

17. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Turn the 8x10 into a table until ur playing stadiums.
    Easy solution and useful.

Or sell a cab and buy some nice individual effects racks/pedals :)
    Neva been a fan of effects processors

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 on ditching the multi-effects unit. May be cool to goof around with but live they suck tone and are noisy.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to not understanding the op's question/problem, and HUGE +1 to ditching the mult-fx processor.

20. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    its already been killed, but definitely take in the size of the places you are going to be playing. I would sell all but the 4X10 and the head, and buy another bass...I don't even think you would need 1100 watts in an arena....