Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Advice [Amp Purchase]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJD, Mar 9, 2006.

1. JJD

JJD

Dec 13, 2005
    Bergen Co, New Jersey
    Hello!

After 11 years of inactivity, I'm picking up the bass again, (just bought a Geddy Lee Jazz tonight!) and I am wondering, what's a good amp to get, thats reliable, that I can tote around to small/mid size gigs that won't break the bank ($1,000 tops) Also, would a separate head/cabinet setup be better than a combo? I was thinking about SWR, also how's Behringer? (Never heard of 'em) or good ol' Fender? Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Oh boy, there are all sorts of options in that price range.

What sort of music will you be playing?
    What sort of sound do you prefer?
    Pick, finger, slap?
    How much weight can you tolerate?
    Would you go used?

Behringer is junk. SWR has fallen out of favor, now that they've been bought by Fender. Fender has some decent small combos, and their Bassman 300 tube head has some supporters, but I've never heard anyone say anything nice about their cabinets.

I guess you have to give us a little more information before we can give meaningful answers.

3. or just search on here. There's a plethora of information already posted in the Amps section about pretty much every amp there is!

4. For a grand, you can get an Ashdown head and an Avatar cabinet.

Also, you could get a Kustom Groove; 1200 watts for under $600. Pair that up with an Avatar cabinet and you'd be good to go for a long time.

If you're patient, you can get some pretty good deals for a grand.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
  6. JJD

JJD

Dec 13, 2005
    Bergen Co, New Jersey
    Wow, Scott, that looks like a nice little gem! Thanks, I just might consider that. 62 lbs, not too bad...and compact!

Thanks for the replies thus far

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    The Eden would be my choice, because I have one. The cxc4-10 combo. It's really great, but the Carvin would also be a good choice. Eden is made in Minnesota, Carvin in California. Both nice US made units, and very professional gear.

8. ashdown ashdown ashdown, ole ole ole :hyper:

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    "Also, you could get a Kustom Groove; 1200 watts for under $600. Pair that up with an Avatar cabinet and you'd be good to go for a long time."

That sounds like a winner to me...

- georgestrings

10. JJD

JJD

Dec 13, 2005
    Bergen Co, New Jersey
    Thanks guys, I'm gonna check out the Eden combo, as well as some Ashdown gear. Thanks!!!

11. The new Carvin BRX series looks great and cabnets have rollers on them.
    I have a Avatar Guitar 2x12 and is great and the bass cabs have gotten good opinions on this web site.
    For a tube tone you could go with the new Yrokville YBA200
    ($600 I think).
    Look on e-bay for used stuff in good/new condition.
    Avatar often has new cabs up for auction too.