NEED ADVICE, Big Time!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrmojo, Apr 8, 2005.

1. mrmojo

Apr 3, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    im a drummer that is now playing bass.
    i want an eden rig but i cant afford it so im looking at
    a 4x10 Behringer 1000W BA 410 with a B3000T 300W Head.

Are these good?
    Total is around $500 new for both.
    Do I need a Preamp or Power Amp or is the Head and Cab fine?
    Is this enough power for loud punk rock gigs if i put the cab on milk crates and use a 300W head?
    Opinions are greatly appreciated!
  2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You can do much better for your money....

Search for Avatars on the Forums. Everyone SWEARS by their Avatar cabs, and they are a way better deal than Behringer will ever be. I'd recommend getting the Avatar B212 and an Ashdown MAG head.

2x12 cabs have a more diverse sound than 4x10 cabs do. They can get lower, but they still have clarity and punch to them. And the Ashdown head is the same thing as the Behringer head (Behringer ripped it off)... and you can get it with free shipping. It's a great deal. You could also use that cab for a more powerful head in the future, or else add another AVatar if you ever needed to.
  3. Some have had good luck with the Behringer heads, some have had them catch fire. Do a search for more info and be sure your homeowner's insurance is current. ;)
  4. mrmojo

Apr 3, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Thanks Mudbass,

What do you feel about 2x12 as aopposed to 4x10 cab?
  5. mrmojo

Apr 3, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Thank you Chariot
    What should I use for head wattage?
    Should I get 2 Heads?
    Would I need 2 2x12 Cabs?

Im clueless!
    I appreciate any and all advice!
  6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I would go with Ashdown amps over behringer, and I would definitely stay away from their cabs...I had one and I hated it. Avatar sounds like a good recomendation. I personally like a 2x10 and a 1x15. I run a 250 watt Trace head through a genzbenz setup w/ that configuration in a metal band, and it's very loud. The 2x10 provides alot of midrange allows me to hear myself better on stage. The 15 gives me all the bottom end I need.
  7. If the size and weight of a 4x10 cab isn't a problem, I'd go with the 4x10. It would take a pretty exceptional (and pricey) 2x12 cab to out perform even an average 4x10 cab. At any rate, no matter which you choose I think a cab from Avatar is going to be a better investment than any cab that Behringer offers.
  8. ^ Very opinionated.

10 inch, 12 inch, and 15 inch speakers are all a matter of preference. Easy breakdown? 10 = punch 12 = middle 15 = fat lows.

That's the generaly consenus.

You can't wrong with an Avatar 2x12 and a Mag300, most people here will agree, it's a solid, cheap solution.

Then again, it's a possibility something is more your cup of coffee. At any rate, try as much as you can.