1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice: black flats for my Roscoe #6363

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ChrisCassisi, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    I just recently acquired a Roscoe 6 string fretless (6363) and want to put some flats on it. Currently has DR black beauties rounds on it. Its a 35" scale and with the paperwork it came with its says to use super long strings.

Want something that has a nice punchy mid range and would sound good for anything from jazz fusion to tech death metal. And also be black. Black strings look awesome on this bass.

Any advice on something that won't break the bank, last a long time and sound great would be much appreciated.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Well, if you want "Black Flats" you are going to have to look at Black Nylon Tapewounds.

They all have pretty much a tubby tone...

But if you are using a 6 string, your only options for Black Nylon Tape Wounds in a 6 string set will be La Bella or Rotosound.

The La Bella Black Nylon Tapewounds that are normally available are 37" from Ball End to Silk. These MAY fit your instrument you will have to measure Ball End to Nut. If not you can have a set ordered in Extra Long and these would be 38" from Ball to Silk

Rotosound Black Nylon Tapewounds are available in a 6 String Set and have a winding length of 37.25" from Ball to Silk.

3. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the info Jason. You are my string guy so I was going to give you a call today but checked here first and you already chimmed in lol

From ball end to nut is roughly around 36.5". How are the rotos compared to the la bellas? Is tension the same? Not a big fan of floppy strings but do like a little give because I bend a lot.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    You will also need to look at the gauges of these as the C strings are pretty hefty!

La Bella - .043 .060 .070 .094 .115 .135T
    Rotosound - .050 .065 .075 .100 .115 .135

With the Tapered string on the La Bella they may fit better depending on the bridge. And depending on the nut, the La Bella's may be a better fit without modification.

Both sets are very smooth to the touch. The Rotosound feel a bit more flexible / bouncier. To me personally, the Rotos are a little "tubbier" sounding while the La Bella are a bit brighter while still being dark and thumpy.

Both will fit your instrument if your at 36.5"

(Both in stock too :D)

5. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    I know people are going to get a little annoyed with bumping such an old thread but felt like I should. After over a year and a half the LaBellas I got from Jason are still going strong. Play my bass almost everyday and it sounds exactly how I wanted with these strings. Big props to Jason on being TBs string guru. You're the man, Jason!!!

SLaPiNFuNK likes this.
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Na... YOU the man!

7. Sooooo, you're saying they sound fat?

Yeah, I know, zombie, etc....