1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice, buying a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b80, May 12, 2010.

Which bass should I buy

Poll closed May 12, 2011.
  1. Fender MIM Jazz Bass

80.0%
  2. Mark Hoppus Signature

20.0%
  3. Danelectro DC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. b80

b80

May 12, 2010
    Jackson, MS
    Greetings everyone!

I play bass and and the lead singer in an alt/punk/rock band. I have been playing a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass. We are starting to get more gigs and am looking to upgrade a bit. The Basses I am looking at are a Fender MIM Jazz bass, a Mark Hoppus signature, or a Danelectro DC bass. I am leaning towards the Dano for the fact that not alot of people play them, and I really like the sound Fat Mike gets from it. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with these basses and would like to see if anyone has any clips of these being played on youtube or something. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

b80

www.myspace.com/thestartup
    www.twitter.com/brianB80

2. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    due to the lack of carrots i'm not about to vote but you're going to have to give us some more information on what kind of tone you're looking for. i would personally go with the mark hoppus or the MIM over the danelectro- i also wouldn't trust youtube videos for tone referencing.. your rig has a lot to do with tone

3. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Danelectros are nice, I love 'em, but you really have to play it and know the tones before you make a decision. They can be very versatile if applied correctly, but if you don't have any experience noodling around on one, I wouldn't do it. I say go with the Hoppus or the MIM. Rugged and nice.

4. Hoppus out of those three but really I'd probably get a Squier VM P if I were you. I've found the Squiers to be the same or better than most MIM Fenders I've played lately. Might also look into a Yamaha BB414.

5. b80

b80

May 12, 2010
    Jackson, MS
    Thanks for the input. I've played a Squier VM Pbass at GC and they do sound nice. I like the look of the J body, seems the Hoppus would be a nice fit. I haven't been able to play on one though, no one carries it around here.

6. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England
    Cant say which one to go for but i have a Mark hoppus bass so can give you info on it and chuck some vids your way....

Ill be honest, i bought mine because i was an avid blink 182 Fan.

The bass its self looks stunning!

Does sound cool with a pic.

You only have the one dial though so your not messing about with trying to get that sound but at the same time, youve only got that one sound!

to play i find it a bit awkward, Im putting it down to a few things though,... I use my fingers and iv only really played one bass which is my 1st bass (a Yamaha Rbx 170 which in terms of basses and kills me to say it, but nothing special) however i get on really well with this new warwick corvette iv bought

My advice would defently try one before you committ to buying a hoppus bass! else youll get one, love it at 1st but then find yourself telling some one else the same thing im telling you now

out of the jazz and the hoppus, id be tempted to go for the jazz in a hoppus colour ;)

Mark himself uses the jazz bass

7. b80

b80

May 12, 2010
    Jackson, MS
    Checked out your vids, and it sounds nice. I am a pick player, so once again it seems to be a nice fit. I like the mix with the P pickups and J body. Say what you want about Hoppus or Blink 182, but I do like the sound he gets on his records. I really appreciate everyones help on this.

8. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England
    Oh no im not putting him down. I was a massive Hoppus fan boi when i was learning. look at my user name ;) Hes by no means the best player but hes never said he was! hes good at what he does and thats all hes ever need to do :) Iv met him and hes also one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet!

His bass is sounds flipping awesome! especially in these...

just your very limited unless you got a amp with lots of dials :)

sounds like your pretty set on the hoppus bass, just my advice would be try one before you buy one so one day you dont look back and relise there is more out there :)

thinking about it, essentially the jazz bass and the hoppus should be the same to play. im sure with a bit of messing about youll get used to it :)

9. b80

b80

May 12, 2010
    Jackson, MS
    I'm playing through an acoustic B200h and 410 cab. The head has a 6 band EQ. I've been able to get pretty swell tones from it. Would love a SVT Classic though.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I would pick none of the above.

11. I didn't even know who Mark Hoppus was when I bought his signature bass. I just liked the feel and the sound of the instrument. It's now become my main instrument, and I have a Marcus Miller, and two precisions. The simplicity of the Hoppus just works for me, and I find it comfortable to play. I have it strung with flatwounds.

12. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'd look for a squier classic vibe (p or j, which ever hits you harder) or maybe a yamaha bb414.

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    try an old gibson grabber or ripper, just to see what you think